Friday, May 16, 2014

I Samuel 15-16:23, John 8:1-20, Psalm 110:1-7, Proverbs 15:8-10

I Samuel 15-16:23, John 8:1-20, Psalm 110:1-7, Proverbs 15:8-10
Wed. May 14, 2014
 
            Obvious nikkie truth: I'm a people pleaser.  It can be one of my greatest strengths and greatest weakness at any given time.  It is one of the foundations of my job, creating the greatest experience for others by enriching their daily lives.  I say yes to just about everything: at work, in the many activities I'm involved in, to my friends, and to my family.  I have sacrificed sleep, time, energy, money, etc. to the point that I am so exhausted or overstretched that I have compromised the excellence and quality of another thing.  One of my greatest struggles in my life and walk with God is being that "Good (Christian) Girl" and keeping up that "image."  Just like I have struggled with pleasing others, I have always battled pleasing God.  I want Him to look at me with delight…that I am His Good Girl.  Last year, with a couple great girl friends, I read Emily Freeman's book, Grace for the Good Girl, and almost every page is marked up with underlines, marks, and "Nikkie!!" in the margin.  It's a book that helped me identify and work through how I can make God delight in me and how I thought I could "earn" his love and acceptance. 
 
            Proverbs 15:8-9 identifies two kind of people and the ways God reacts to both of them. "The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.  The Lord detests the way of the wicked, but he loves those who pursue righteousness." There are "the wicked" who still sacrifice and give up offerings, but their way is not the right way.  They may be like Cain, giving a sacrifice that is not true or pleasing to God.  They are doing the acts and the external motions, but their hearts are not genuine, humble, or given to God.  They are wicked.  Solomon continues these verses by giving hope and truth.  It is the PRAYER of the "upright" that pleases him.  It's not the great sacrifices, not the money, not the millions of activities I'm involved in, but a true and humble heart of prayer.  He GIVES his love (free of charge) to those who "pursue righteousness." 
 
            These verses were reminders to me that I don't have to earn God's love.  I already have it…He first loved me.  These verses remind me about what Pastor Scott talked about on Sunday, what kind of faith so I have?  A thimble or a bucket full?  What path am I trying to walk down on: the path of the wicked or the other path?  I will never have enough check marks, never have enough highly satisfied customers, and no matter how many hours I work, I will never be able to fully please my coworkers.  But that is not going to change how God views and looks at me.  All he wants is me: my prayer, my company, my all.  Hebrews 11:6 reminds me, "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment