Friday, October 25, 2013

Wednesday's blog based on 2 Timothy 2

Jeremiah 42-44:23, 2 Timothy:1-21, Psalms 92-93:5, Proverbs 26:3-5
 
            I am totally an information and technology junkie.  I fit into those statistics that Pastor Scott talks about on Sunday mornings.  I am on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, always on my phone, texting, checking headlines, or whatever it maybe.  I know there is a lot of negative things that go with this, and I can honestly say that I am still learning how to balance this time 9but I can also say that it is getting better.)  I originally joined Twitter just as a tool for information, breaking news, and to know what kind of specials or events that maybe going on at some of my favorite restaurants, or venues.  In the last couple months I have started tweeting a little more, and as I was going through my tweets, I knew it was a reflection of who I am and what I care about.  I updated my "tag line" that I had been putting off because it is such a huge deal…it reveals to the cyber world who I am in a handful of words.  This is what it now reads "New Mexican in Connecticut…Starbucks Partner…UNM Lobo…Tennis, Food, and Drink Enthusiast….Christ Follower and Lover."  The reading on Wednesday from 2 Timothy 2 connected me to this age of identification and tag lines.  We know we all have different descriptions, hats we wear, and identifications and there are ways we act and live because of them. 
 
            In this letter that Paul wrote, he describes a few different people, their roles and the ways the act and live.  He was encouraging Timothy to "be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."  This is something we need to hear daily.  I don't know how many times this is even mentioned in the Bible, but I know it is a lot!  Paul first calls on Timothy as "my son."  This of course is not literal, but it shows the relationship and love they had for each other.  Paul was Timothy's mentor, teacher, and they had a close relationship that was based on God's love and truth.  Secondly, Paul looks at a soldier.  A soldier is focused on his duty, loyalty, and how to please his commander.  Our commander is Christ Jesus…we need to be focused on how we can be pleasing God verses others around us.  This is a big message and reflection for me…the biggest people pleaser ever.  Next is the athlete:  definitely not me, but being married to an athlete, I know about the competition, and "competing according to the rules."  The Bible is our manual, or playbook.  Next is the farmer: the hardworking farmer who invests so much time, physical work, and laborious hours to the harvest.     
 
            In verse 15 Paul states, "Do your best to present yourself as a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."  He encourages Timothy to separate himself and rise above the "godless chatter" the world has to offer.  This is a verse I now have underlined.  The workman.  In the verses that follow, Paul uses the image of "an instrument."  This is a metaphor that is used many times in the Bible and among Christians, "make me an instrument."   To be this instrument is a tool, used by God for "noble purposes, made holy, useful for the Master and prepared to so any good work."   Just like a microbiologist will use a microscope verses a magnified glass, or how a chef will use a sharp knife vs. a table knife to fillet a fish, it is so vital to the work to be a useful instrument.  But with all these roles comes practice, learning, skills, and development.  As followers of Christ we must do the same.  Its about the daily relationship, intimate relationship with Christ.  Tools must be maintained and sharpened.  Athletes, soldiers, and workmen must be disciplined in their work, so must we.  This is how we remain strong and holy, doing good work for our Creator.      
 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment