Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October 8

Jeremiah 10-11
Colossians 3:18-4:18
Psalm 78:56-72
Proverbs 24:28-29

Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.  Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains.  Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should.
Colossians 4:2-4

I will never stop being amazed at how Paul could write letters of encouragement to other believers while he himself was in prison. He instructed others to devote themselves to prayer with a thankful heart while he himself was in prison. He asked them to pray for him that he would make the most of every opportunity while he himself was in prison. Paul saw a purpose to his suffering and didn't dwell on it. He continued to focus on God and His plan and His purpose for everything.

I'm glad for this reminder because I often forget. When life gets difficult or I run into a bump in the road, my first thought is to focus on the problem and ask "why me" and feel sorry for myself. As we know, this is not what Paul did. He continued to do God's work the entire time he was imprisoned and God used him for His great plan despite his limitations. 

Please pray for me and my family at this time, that we would put our trust in the Lord with an alert mind and a thankful heart. My grandfather passed away last month. He had been taking care of my grandmother (who was in advanced stages of Alzheimer's disease). This past Saturday, my grandmother passed away. Please pray especially for my mom and her siblings, that despite losing both parents in about a month, that all of us will lean completely on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment