Friday, October 25, 2013

10/25/13

10/25/13

As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8 NLT)

The end of life. Death. It's not something most of us want to talk about, or even think about. But, in the last couple of months, Apryl and I have had to deal with it quite a bit, and think about it more than we are comfortable thinking about it. In the past 2 months, we have lost our dear friend Bill Cahill, Apryl has lost two of her grandparents, and one of my close friends lost his grandmother, and one of my co-workers lost his Fiancé in surgery. So I have had to think about death more than usual. The fact of the matter is death is coming. It might be right around the corner, or it might be further away, but is is steadily approaching. All the time we read about people that died way too young. Death is something we all need to deal with, and even more so, the road leading up to it (ie...living will, DNR orders, life insurance, last will.). We all want to make sure the people we love are taken care of. But what about ourselves? Do we think enough about our final path? Do we ask the right questions about the way we have lived? Or even more importantly, about the way we have served? Have we lived out our mission in life? Have we followed in the footsteps of our Savior? Have we reached our goals? Have we been faithful with what we have been given? They are hard questions, but they are questions that need to be asked. Have we run the race with authority, so that we will receive the prize?

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment