Thursday, December 20, 2012

II Timothy

II Timothy
 
Its been a quite the week.  Newtown, 2012à2013, and of course according the Mayans, the world is going the "end" on Friday.  Death and ending surround us everywhere.  A little know fact about me is that I think about death a lot…Divan gives me a hard time for being on the morbid side, but it's a truth.  Not in the gory or gruesome side, but death is something I have grown up with, was exposed to, and I when I think of childhood, Spanish/Catholic rosaries are definitely part of it.  As I read II Timothy I thought about all these things.  On Sunday I shared what was on my heart about chapter 3 and the urgency that we all should have.  I believe that things are only going to get worse before they get better (in this world.)  And I also believe that as Christians we should be a peace and be joyful by studying, living, and celebrating the Word.    I hope what I have to share today is not as heavy, because even though there is urgency and it is a serious matter, I also believe that there is great joy ahead of us.
         II Timothy is believed to be the last written letter by Paul between 64-67 AD.  It is thought that Paul was martyred in 67 AD, so this is very close to the end of Paul's life.  Maybe he was reflective, encouraging, and sharing some parting words to one of his beloved, Timothy.  This is the tone and sense I get while reading.  Paul is affectionate to Timothy's mother and grandmother, followers, and shares his grief of those who left him.  Paul focuses on the importance of teaching and preaching the word, to be bold and share because you never know who will be listening.  Chapter 4: 6-8, I believe, is the closing banner for Paul.  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race.  I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."
I have always loved these verses and there are the same themes in the New Testament including I Corinthians 9:24 and Hebrews 12:1.  The good fight.  The race.  The finish line.  We are all on this journey, in this race.  Makes me hope and wonder that when I reach the end Jesus will welcome me into heaven with, "Well done my good and faithful servant."  This is a hard thing to digest for me because I know how messy I am and how sinful I am.  I know that I am not good…that I am not always faithful.  With everything that has gone on, makes me think of this race and the finish line ahead.  We will all cross it, but notice how Paul makes it known that "I have kept the faith."  This is key…the way to keep this race and fight going.  Keeping the faith.  It is though Scriptures that we learn how to keep and LIVE this faith.  We see who God is.  Even though we know God is Father, Loving, Almighty, Merciful and Sovereign, he is also Judge.  And this is how Paul describes God waiting for us at the end of the race.  He is Judge.  I know this puts a fear in me knowing my ugliness.  But as I just mentioned, he is a loving and merciful God and Judge.  As I shared last week, Paul was ugly and messy too with sin that tainted him and many would judge as unforgivable.  But he knows God's mercy through the cross that welcomes us at the end of the race with open arms.  We must remain faithful.  Fight the good fight.  E must work hard in this race, but thank God for His mercy.      

No comments:

Post a Comment