Tuesday, December 4, 2012

December 4

2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Lamentations 3:22-23
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

In today's reading, we are told that if we are in Christ, than we are new creations. Our old sinful life is gone and we are made brand new. This is very good news... but there are times when I don't feel new. I fall into the same habits, the same routine, the same old sinful me. I start to wonder: "what is the matter with me?" I've been given this amazing gift, a chance to be made new and I still make the same mistakes. After hearing Chuck's prayer on Sunday, I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. We all keep making the same stupid choices. 

I definitely get discouraged when I think about how often I fall back into my old self. Then my discouragement can quickly turn into a "why should I even bother with this new creation stuff when I'm just going to mess it all up" attitude. 

It's important to remember that God doesn't just make us new and then walk away. The process of being made new is continuous, and He is with us every step of the way. According to Lamentations 3, His love and mercies are new every day. Every day, He is making us new. 

I was reminded of a passage I read from the book East of Eden by John Steinbeck:
"Maybe you'll come to know that every man in every generation is refired. Does a craftsman, even in his old age, lose his hunger to make a perfect cup - thin, strong, translucent? All impurities burned out and ready for a glorious flux and for that - more fire. And then either the slag heap or, perhaps what no one in the world ever quite gives up, perfection. Can you think that whatever made us - would stop trying?"
I'm not sure what Steinbeck's intentions were with these words, but I couldn't help but see an accurate description of God's relationship with His creation. God is a Craftsman and He is constantly working to make us into His perfect masterpiece. He will not give up on us until we are. Don't be discouraged when you fall back into your old way of life. Remember that He is not finished making you new!

No comments:

Post a Comment