Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Acts 24-26

Acts 24 – 26
 
Exactly six years ago Divan started coming into the Starbucks I worked at in Albuquerque.  In a matter of three weeks he went from the venti caramel macchiato drinker to this amazing guy who I knew was going to be a part of my life forever.  People ask what his "pick up line" was and we laugh because he got my interest when he said, "I'm looking for a nice girl to travel with."  Ha ha.  If you know us now, you know how true this is.  I was not expecting him in my life at that moment, but the rest is history.  One thing we have come to love are dirt roads.  You know that we love to travel, but we love driving around going off he beaten path.  In fact, he's going to kill me for saying this, but Divan is a bit of a blogger himself.  He blogs about our many travel adventures from these years and our nickname is "Looking for the Dirt Roads."  We have had some of the best memories, stories, and best pictures when we have moved from the original path or plan.  At first I used to freak out if we were lost or not going to schedule, (and sometimes I still do,) but I have also learned that things don't always go the way I think they should, but sometimes have the greatest blessings. 
Today's reading is an overview of Paul's testimony – who he was and how he got there.  This is an echo from Acts chapter 9, but the audience is different.  We know that the early part of Paul's life was dedicated to persecuting followers of The Way – Christians who gave their lives to Jesus Christ.  He even admits here that his mission was to see Christians killed.  In the middle of this was when God stepped in and changed him completely…plans changed.  Fast forward to when Paul is a great Apostle, spreading and teaching the "hope" of God and His kingdom.  Being arrested (I'm sure) was not part of Paul's plan.  Staying in prison for over two years was not part of Paul's plan.   Thank goodness that things don't always go according to plan….that we don't always travel the easy roads. 
Paul was called to speak in front of the governor and king of this land.  As John Piper observed, imagine a king (or president) seeking a private audience with you just to hear your testimony!  Just to hear the Gospel and why you have hope in God!  My friends, God had a purpose and greater plan than Paul did, just like He has for us.  God called Paul witness, open their eyes, turn their lives from darkness, and to go out there.  He just didn't say where he was going to go.  Part of God's mysterious plan was to send him to prison and face persecution; he promised that He would always be there ("I will rescue you…")  So even after all this: trials, persecution, prison, standing in front of multiple rulers (who had the power to kill you or not,) Paul's faith and hope was strong.  He was on fire for Christ and shared it with all he could.  One of the best WOW moments of the Bible was Paul's closing statement, "Short time or long – I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains."  (Acts 26:29)             When I met Divan six years ago, I wanted nothing to do with a relationship, let along fall in love with my future husband.  I was ready to join the Peace Corp, or be a missionary, or plan my future campaign for governor.  My life is not how I planed it, but thanks to God for unanswered prayers and for being the one in control.  Be ready to share your hope in God because you never know who is ready to listen.  God knows His plan and brings these unmarked roads for His glory.     

No comments:

Post a Comment