Wednesday, July 11, 2012

King Manasseh (2 Kings 21/2 Chronicles 32-33:9)

King Manasseh (2 Kings 21/2 Chronicles 32-33:9)
 
It was hard and sad to read today's passage.  We have spent so much time reading about King Hezekiah and the great reform he brought to Israel.  I have felt connected and invested in him.  Then we come to today's reading about his son, King Manasseh.  What a mess.  We know he was 12 years old when he took the throne.  Perhaps he was born in the 15 years that God extended in Hezekiah's life.  We are introduced to his wickedness and total turn from God and the law.  Everything that Hezekiah worked for and changed in Judah is put back by his son, and magnified.  Manasseh is sinful, terrible, and wicked. 
            My first question is "How can this be?"  True, he was young when his father died, but he had a Godly father.  We see the relationship Hezekiah and God had: there was conversation, prayer, mercy, and obedience.  So, was Hezekiah so wrapped up in ruling his kingdom that he neglected to teach his son the way of the Lord?  Maybe.  The flip side:  Was Manasseh raised in a Godly manner, taught the law, how to worship and follow God as Hezekiah did?  Maybe…most likely. 
            I'm not a parent, but I have amazing parents.  They raised me in a Godly home, taught me how to obey, serve, and love God.  I was raised in the church with great role models and teachers.  By God's grace and mercy I still love and follow Him.  I have friends and family, however, with a similar journey, who have turned their backs to God.  They aren't murderers like Manasseh or go for child sacrifices…obviously not this crazy extreme.  But God gave us free-will, and as humans we are able to choose.  Manasseh chooses to reject God and "seduced" (nkjv) Judah to do the same.   I can only imagine the heartbreak Hezekiah would have felt if he were still alive, and the heartbreak God must have had.  It must have been the same with David and his sons:  Godly parents and their children who fell away, despite knowing truth. 
            I have seen mothers mourn and cry for their children who have walked away from God and His teachings.  I confess it is one of the greatest fears I have.   In college I went through a few rough patches: angry with the church, angry with God, and selfishly wanting to take control and live for me.  I saw my own mother cry for me.  At the time it angered me more, but deep down the anger was a way of dealing with the guilt or conviction I had.  Knowing deep deep down what the truth was and Who the truth was.  Many of you may have the exact same fear or may be dealing with the exact same situation: your own Manasseh.  It's interesting to me that Manasseh is one of the 12 tribes, a symbol of Israel and God. 
            So what's the answer?  What's the solution?  How does the story end?  With Manasseh, all we know of him right now is that he truly is an evil, dark man…a tyrant, a killer, and the lowest of the low.  He sinned as loud as he could, for everyone to see, especially God.  Is there really hope for such ugliness?  Even when he looks unreachable?  I confess, I read ahead.  We will find out the end of the evil man on July 21st.  No cheating…wait for it.  In the mean time, never give up.  Pray, pray, pray.  My parents never stopped praying for my brother and I.  Never make these problems bigger than God.  He can do anything.  Be faithful.  Teach and love your children.  Be the example.  Love God first and teach your children how to love God.  Never stop praying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment