Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Isaiah 54-56

Isaiah 54-56
 
I feel like I always say this, but these were some meaty chapters J  So much I wanna write about!!!  Charles Spurgeon has at least 28 full (and very lengthy) sermons over these 3 chapters alone in Isaiah.  There is so much richness and content, that meaty…or juicy are the only words I can think of to describe them!!  On a side note, growing up one of my favorite songs to sing was based on chapter 55:12…and I was that kid who sang it at the top of my lungs in the grocery store.  God gave my parents patience for sure!!!!!  Made me smile to read that verse today.
 
I have talked about teaching first grade Sunday School at my old church in Albuquerque, going through the ABC's of God.  The very first week of the school year we learned (and I say we) the letter "Q" for "Questions."  These were the three questions we would be seeking and answering every week:  Who is God?  What is He like?  How should I act towards Him?  Knowing I have to stick with a topic or a theme, (there are many in these chapters) I am attracted to my God.   These chapters are almost like a painting, words as a medium to show us the answers to the questions up above…and what a Masterpiece He is!!!!!
 
So let's check it out:  Who is God?  What is He like?  These are a few of the answers I found:
·      Maker (Creator)
·      Husband (to Israel and the Church)
·      LORD Almighty (is His name)
·      Holy One (of Israel)
·      Redeemer (Savior, a rescuer) (this is repeated a couple times)
·      God of ALL the earth
·      Compassionate
·      Gets angry, but Forgives (He comes back to us)
·      Eternal (is everlasting)
·      Keeps His promises
·      Defender to the ones He loves
·      Merciful
·      Forgives (freely pardons) (55:7)
·      Divine (He is so much greater than us, we can not even fathom it!)
·      Offers and gives salvation
·      Righteous
·      Has a great house and welcomes ALL who love and worship Him (Jews and Gentiles)
 
Get the idea!!!!   I try not to forget that God os the main character.  This precious book is His and His glory shines in the chapter and verses, word by word.   I'm joyful that there is an aching and yearning to know who God is…to continue to get to know Him, to Love Him!   We can only find SATISFACTION in Him, no food, drink, or anything money can buy will be able to provide this.   The first few verses of chapter 55 are all about finding true: physical, mental, and spiritual satisfaction in God.  It's the only way.  But as we saw above, what an amazing God we have!  We are blessed to have the hearts and eyes to see Him!  To know Him!  Be intimate with Him!  If you struggle with this, focus on one or two of these attributed and spend some time just thinking about it, praying about how we can focus on Him, or praise Him for being the way He is!  As chapter 55 says, "Give ear [listen] and come to me, hear me, that your soul may live."  My friends listen up!  Listen to what God is saying to you.  Don't be a Jonah and run away.  Be still and listen, that you may know He is God.  That is the way to salvation. 
 
To close up, I wanted to ramble off a little story.  This morning I was a little cranky because it was so hot.  The a/c in my car stopped working some months ago, and jus haven't gotten around to it.  Not a great situation.  I was complaining in my head that it was so hot, my metal earrings were getting super hot and even burning my neck!  Ugh!  No bueno.  So, as the day progressed, bam!  Crazy rainstorm moves in and pouring rain!!!!!  And what follows rain?  A rainbow.  Well, I was at work so I don't know if there was a rainbow or not, but I did see on Facebook, that my friends saw a rainbow in Albuquerque today.  In Isaiah 54:9-10 we are reminded the promise/covenant God made with Noah so long ago.  This promise was represented with a rainbow: a reminder that God would never destroy the earth again the way He did with the flood.  Think about how many rainstorms there are happening at any given time, at any point and location across this great globe.  I truly believe that at every second of the day (and night) that somewhere out there, someone is able to see a rainbow.  God's promises are everlasting just like He is.  They are constant, solid, and truth.   I hope you continue to fall in love with our Father.   

No comments:

Post a Comment