Wednesday, July 4, 2012

II Chronicles 29-31

II Chronicles  29-31
 
Happy 4th everyone!   I have been very thoughtful today pondering this passage and Independence Day.  I have many thoughts, but the constant challenge for me is how to express and communicate them here.  Even at dinner tonight I was expressing myself and rambling on to Divan and he just sits and smiles…patiently waiting for me to take the next breathe or jump to the next tangent.  Be patient with me too….
 
 At the end of Monday's and today's passage, King Hezekiah is described as a good king, following God's commands as his father David did.  God blessed him and made him prosper.  I can't help thinking, however, what a challenging life this king must have had.  This king started a reform in the kingdom of Judah.    Now I know that "reform" is a pretty intense word and that triggered me to think about the differences between "revival" and "reform."  Which one comes first?  Is one more temporary than the other?  One a marriage and the other a honeymoon?  I absolutely believe and support both, but I believe that in this passage, a reformation was occurring and I believe a reformation is what we need, at least in my own heart.  More on this to come…
 
King Hezekiah began cleaning out the Temple, rearranging the "new furniture" as Ruth shared with us on Monday.  We can remember what the Temple is and what it symbolizes.  Remember from past readings all the planning, labor, riches, details, and perfection that went into the creation of this glorious structure, then remember who dwells there.  GOD!!!   The Temple is where God lived during these times and Hezekiah knew this and brought it back to level it needed to be at.  He took out the idols, the excess…in essence the cobwebs, the other gods, and what ever did not glorify the Father.  It made me think of the temple today…where God dwells now.  My heart.  What about the excess, the cobwebs, the other gods in my own life?  What furniture needs rearranging or clean up in my heart?  This was the first step in reform. 
 
On a cold February morning in 1859, Charles Spurgeon shared an entire (and very long) sermon on II Chronicles 31:1 alone.  The title, "Reform."   He celebrates the image of an amazing Passover that Judah and Israel finally had together, mentioning how Isaiah was probably the "gladdest" in the crowd!  His tone and direction changes, calling for Christians to break the images of other "gods," the ones we keep in our hearts.  He specifically pointed out "self righteousness…lust…Bacchus…and pride," (to name a few.)  As soon as he mentioned pride, I knew he was talking to me. 
"Say now, who is there among us who has not some image to break? I have thought sometimes that I had broken all mine at one season, for I have had the will to do it; but lo! I have walked through the temple of my heart, and I have seen in some dark corner an idol still standing. Let it be cast down, I have said; and I have used the sledge-hammer upon it. But when I thought I had cleared all away, there was still one gigantic figure standing there; for you may be sure that there is one idol of which we can never thoroughly cleanse our hearts though we try and though by God's strength we give him a blow every day. It is the god of pride. He changes his shape continually; sometimes he calls himself humility, and we begin to bow before him, till we find we are getting proud of our humility."   (http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0238.htm)
 
Brothers and sisters: we have to be willing to take out those sledgehammers and clear your hearts.  This is the way to reform: just like Hezekiah led Judah.  This good king went back to the foundation: the Law of the Lord.  I'm sure there were many who did not support or understand these old-fashioned ways and rituals, but Hezekiah knew his people needed it for their survival, physically and spiritually.  The Northern kingdom (Israel) was already in captivity, in bondage, lacking in freedom.  Judah, the Southern kingdom was going to meet the same fate, but in the mean time, they worked on their hearts and on their physical surroundings to glorify God in this moment.
 
Today we celebrated America's birthday.  We were with friends, family, saw some fireworks, and ate too much.  I spent the day in Lancaster County, PA, and I don't think it gets more American – red, white, and blue than this!  Parades were everywhere, people loving on others, friendly, giving, and welcoming.  I am thankful to live in this great nation and so thankful for the freedoms we all have.  However, at one point I looked to Divan, and told him how really it feels like a fake day. Thinking of the sin in my life, the sin of our country, we are just in bondage from something else – sin.  True freedom only comes from Christ and His saving grace and mercy.   Like many of you, I pray for revival in our church, city, and country, but today is the first day I pray for reformation.  I pray that our hearts and lives will change and that we live for the glory of God and live Christ- centered.  Lives will be changed from the inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment