Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3: Prophecies against nations

From Isaiah 13:
See, the day of the Lord is coming
-- a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger --
To make the land desolate
And destroy the sinners within it...
Therefore I will make the heavens tremble;
And the earth will shake from its place
At the wrath of the Lord Almighty,
In the day of his burning anger.

This is a side of God that I don't like thinking about. It's scary that sin makes God angry and full of wrath, especially when I think about how sinful I am. There is a David Crowder song called God of Wrath that came to my mind when reading today's scriptures. The idea of the song is to try to paint as big a picture of God as possible. This would mean including all of God's attributes, even the ones that seem scary. David was inspired to write the song after visiting a gothic cathedral in Paris. He felt that everything in this cathedral was built to resize you. Everything was vertical and he felt like this tiny thing walking through these massive doors. What he wanted to do when writing the song was to build a cathedral that would resize us. He explains that wrath and love come from the same hand and are both a part of this wonderful God that we serve. Maybe it's frightening, but it's important to acknowledge the wrath of God in order to regain perspective. 

Even though there are many times where we need to be "resized" or humbled by His anger, we must not forget His great love. Last Wednesday while reading Micah 7, verses 18 and 19 stopped me in my tracks and I read them over and over:
"Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? 
You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.
You will again have compassion on us; 
You will tread our sins underfoot  and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."
This is very good news! He is a God of wrath who is angered by sin, but from the same hand also comes unconditional love. His anger does not last forever and He delights to show mercy to His children who return to Him. 

God of Wrath 
     by David Crowder:
God of wrath
God of love
God of earth
And God above
God of hope
God of peace
God of you
And God of me

God of day
God of night
God the just
And God the light
God of the strong
God of the weak
God of you
And God of me

My love for You
My heart for You
My life for You
All I am for You

Blood through my veins for You
I give my world to you
All I am, and all I have
I lay it down for You
Dancing 'round with You
Spinning 'round with You
Laughing loud with You
My love

( http://youtu.be/zm-LqubrzI4 )

No comments:

Post a Comment