Monday, August 17, 2020

Monday Bible Blog Post August 17th

I invite you to set aside a few minutes and take a walk with me by reading this blog and I pray that you would be encouraged, feel loved and delight in knowing that God remembers you.
 
 
"Remember Me". (Nehemiah 13)
 
 
As I was going through the daily reading today and I couldn't get past these words spoken by Nehemiah in Chapter 13, "remember me".  He said it 3 times. I've been pondering these words all day and I recalled that others in the bible have also spoken these same words.
 
In Genesis 40 Joseph is in prison after being falsely accused and he interprets a dream for the cup bearer of Pharaoh telling him he will be freed.  After interpreting it he says "remember me".
 
In Judges 16 after Sampson lets the source of his strength be known his hair was cut, eye's gouged out and was made to be a prisoner of his enemies.  In this lonely weakened state he says to the lord "remember me".
 
In 1 Samuel 1 Hannah goes to the temple because, after what was likely years, she had not been able to conceive a child. She was desperate and from that desperation she spoke "remember me".
 
In Jeremiah 15 the prophet Jeremiah had been faithfully serving the Lord and speaking truth but finds himself up against evil and sees the Lord's judgement coming straight at the Nation without a buffer and he speaks "remember me".
 
In Luke 23 one of the criminals hanging crucified next to Christ rebuked the other mocking criminal, admitted his guilt and then spoke to Christ "remember me".
 
In Nehemiah 13 Nehemiah worked to rebuild a wall that was toppled by the enemy.  He also worked to rebuild the hearts of the people through truth and encouragement. He leaves for a bit only to return and find that people have easily forgetting the truths of God which caused their captivity and he speaks the words "remember me".
 
I see a common thread in all of these people's stories and where they were when they spoke the words "remember me".  Each one was in a place of weakness, of hurting, of struggle, of fear, of uncertainty, of doubt in their own abilities to right their situations.  There was no pride or position that had falsely puffed them up.  They each were facing an insurmountable struggle.  But rather than become hopeless they became hopeful and spoke the words, "remember me".
 
Asking God to "remember me" is not a selfish or self -centered statement.  It is not boastful.  It is not one that suggest God has forgotten.  No.  It is spoken by one who has reached a place of true brokenness a place of sincere humility.  It says I know how frail I am and how powerless I am against such struggle, ill will and evil in my world.  When Joseph, Sampson, Hannah, Jeremiah, Nehemiah and the criminal on the cross spoke the words "remember me' it was from a humble heart that recognized their weakness next to the power and strength of their God.  They each recognized that their situations were bigger than they were able to grasp but not too big for God' s hands to work out.  Events seemed heavier than they were strong but not too strong for their all powerful God.  Life was more complicated than they could make sense of it but it was not too difficult for their God.  Circumstance had set up a roadblock that they were unable to move but for their God it was merely a threshold to walk over.
 
When we remember who our God is, how big he is compared to us and our circumstances, we can turn to him in our broken humble state and speak the words "remember me" and know he is there.
 
Psalm 115:12 reassures us, "The Lord remembers us and will bless us"
Psalm 40:17 says "Since I am afflicted and needy, let the Lord be mindful of me.  You are my deliverer; do not delay, O my God.
 
What does this mean for you and I?  When life seem difficult, surrounded by struggles, uncertainty or too much to bear do not forget the God you serve.  He is still there, He is still faithful, He is still present, He is still working, He still sees you.  So, with this knowledge bring your humble heart to Him and speak the words "remember me" and let Him work in and through you.  Be encourage that you are not alone, you are not left to handle life in your own strength. 
 
I hope that you will take comfort in the God you serve.  May the stories of Joseph, Sampson, Hannah, Jeremiah, Nehemiah, and the Criminal on the cross be an encouragement to you.  When you find yourself in their company, in the struggle, be sure to rest in the Lord and speak the words "remember me" because you have not been forgotten. 





No comments:

Post a Comment