Saturday, August 1, 2020

August 1: Of Oopsies, Christians and NARPs

2 Chronicles 29:1-36
Romans 14:1-23
Psalm 24:1-10
Proverbs 20:12

First: Oopsies.  I used today's readings to write yesterday's blog.  The readings I listed yesterday were today's.  So today, I am going to try and reflect on yesterday's readings.  

Second: NARPs.  I first heard this term on an unofficial college visit with my older son, to see their swim team and get a tour.  They took us to the gym where we were astounded by the wealth of equipment - twenty of each station, iPads at each one to monitor workouts.  We asked the athletes if everyone could use the gym.  They said no, that one was for the athletes.  There was a second one for NARPs.  "Narps?" we asked.  "Non Athletic Regular People", they replied.  We had a chuckle about that.  

The funny thing is, the meant-in-jest derision towards those who weren't athletes conveyed by the student giving us the tour seemed wrong.  And I hope you will permit a father a moment of public pride - I am grateful all three of my children have such empathy for those not as strong or as fortunate.  The elder son is known to encourage teammates who aren't as strong in the water, or who might not be having a good day; the younger one is often working with classmates who don't understand the material as well as he does.  And my daughter has been there to be the strength for friends who were at the end of their rope.

Third: Christians.  My kids don't know it, but they are living the empathy Paul talks about in Romans 14:1-4.  I could learn from them, particularly in living out my faith the way Paul describes - accepting those whose faith is different, perhaps need different support than I do, especially those who are in a different, younger stage of their relationship with the Lord.  Rather than criticize, however well intentioned, I need to learn to simply be there for them, to be the gentle support they need.  

Father, sometimes as a Christian it is easy to get a swelled head, to think like the Pharisee who looked down at the tax collector in the temple.  Take away pride and arrogance, and in its place give me love and empathy.  Team home not to pass judgment, but instead be supportive of my brothers and sisters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment