Thursday, May 28, 2020

Thursday, May 28

THURSDAY, MAY 28, 2020

"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.... My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one- I in them and you in me-so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (John 17:3,20-23)


In this Great High Priestly Prayer, Jesus intercedes for all believers ahead of His Passion and sacrifice. In this prayer and the events surrounding it, we find stark evidence of Jesus's purity of heart: His faithfulness to follow the Father's will and bring glory to the Father.

In the prayer, Jesus provides some much-needed clarity on what makes for eternal life: it centers on knowing God. To that end, "eternal life" begins in this earthly life and continues forever. By virtue of God's grace and the blood of Christ that allows us to approach God, those who have trust in Him will never experience a moment of un-knowing; to that end, eternal life is consistent and uninterrupted. In addition, eternal life is inherently purposeful: knowing God brings out transformation (2 Corinthians 5:17), spiritual fruit (Galatians 5:22,23), integrity of character (Galatians 2:20), and the handiwork for which God has created us (Ephesians 2:10).

Furthermore, eternal life carries not just an individual purpose, but a community purpose as well. Jesus's prays that His followers might experience unity, which He ties to the world's knowing that the Father had sent the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. In essence, the unity of the Body would bring about a fragrant aroma in the world and a testimony of Jesus's supremacy.

In our country broadly, unity has become quite difficult. The Internet and other media allow us to focus in the narrow slice of the news or commentary that appeals to us. We tend to drown out what appear to be opposing voices. We desperately want others to listen, but we are not humble enough to listen ourselves.

As I look to others (in my better moment), I find it profitable to repeat to myself: "May I love this person because You, O God, love him or her. You created them. Help me to be understanding and caring like You would." That is, while dissonant voices would argue otherwise, unity begins with me, submitted to Christ and allowing Him to love others through me.


Lord Jesus, thank You for making eternal life possible through Your shed blood on the Cross. Thank You for making unity possible by virtue of Your grace and love. Help us to demonstrate love and compassion, even today. We love You and worship You today. In Jesus's Name, amen.


________________________________________________________________________
596 Glenbrook Road, Unit 13 | "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection
Stamford, CT 06906-1423 | and the life. He who believes in me will
(C) 203.820.1741 | live, even though he dies; and whoever
(H) 203.355.9374 | lives and believes in me will never die.
(E) swe@edwa.info | Do you believe this?'" -- John 11:25,26

No comments:

Post a Comment