Saturday, May 16, 2020

May 16: Of Press Conferences and Fake News, 30 AD


1 Samuel 18:5-19:24

John 8:31-59

Psalm 112:1-10

Proverbs 15:12-14


So Jesus is having a press conference with the establishment…


     The Jews answered Him, "Aren't we right in saying that You are a Samaritan and demon possessed?"

     "I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "bit I honor my Father…Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys My word will never see death."

     At this they exclaimed, "Now we know that You are demon-possessed!…Are You greater than our father Abraham?  He died, and so did the prophets…"


So much to unpack here, and once I get over my frustration, indeed my infuriation at what I will call "the establishment Jews" in the story, I am left with sadness for them, and for myself. 


At this point in Jesus's ministry, in the Gospel of John, He has, IN PUBLIC:

  • turned water to wine
  • Healed a royal official's son
  • Healed an invalid at the pool of Bethesda, during one of the three pilgrimage feasts, in full witness of the Jews
  • Fed the five thousand
  • Walked on water
  • Taught at the temple courts, with such authority as to amaze the Jews


Yet in today's reading, what do these establishment Jews do?  They claim fact in the form of a question but, in doing so. they reveal the question is dishonest - it isn't meant to ask, it's meant to accuse; and they twist Jesus's answer into confirmation they needed for something they'd already claimed was fact.  Seriously, not even pretzels are this twisted.  This is where I get infuriated.


And then I think of where I was today - at the socially-distanced funeral of a dear friend's mother, where the sadness of her passing was tempered with the joy of the knowledge she was with our Lord, and the confidence her loved ones would see her again - and my infuriation is replaced with a sense of sadness for the establishment Jews who, in their desire to entrap and discredit Jesus, not only deny everything He's done, but ignore what He offers: eternal life.  


Why do they react this way?  I think it is because what Jesus offers, however perfect, threatens the imperfection and compromise and sinfulness to which they've grown accustomed, even comfortable.  In their defense, Jesus has yet to make the greatest demonstration of His Nature - He has yet to resurrect.  


What is my excuse, though?  What can I say in my defense, when I inevitably, persistently attack Jesus as to seek reason to reject what He offers, and cling to my sinfulness?  Honesty declares I have no defense to offer, and can only respond with prayer.


Father, it is so very easy to see the speck in someone else's eye, and ignore the log in my own.  When I reject Your Son and His teaching in order to cling to my sin, have mercy on me.  And rather than condemn me as I deserve, open my eyes and my heart to what Your Son offers, and let me exchange the imperfection I've grown comfortable with, for the perfection He gives.


No comments:

Post a Comment