Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday, March 19

THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 2020

" Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken....

" Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge." (Psalm 62:1-2,5-8)


In Psalm 62, David proclaims the truth and surety that we may find rest in God. In this tremendously trying time, we need this reminder perhaps more than ever. If anyone shows peace in these moments, we can be assured that that peace has not come from a human source; any peace today comes from an intimate connection with our loving and giving Father.

Without declaring and meditating on our trust in God's provision, the coronavirus backdrop can spark overwhelming panic. I receive a helpful table that pointed to the very spiritual elements behind this natural phenomenon. Naturally, we may view panic, concern over the virus's "mysterious origins," hoarding, deception, insecurity, and chaos and disorder. These outcomes have emerged from the evil one, who has carried lies and wishes to destroy God's good creation in each person.

In response, we may declare, as David does here, that God gives wisdom and healing. He generously and fully provides for His children. His truth stands firm forever, and He will protect us because of His relentless love and supremacy over all creation. He is completely trustworthy and completely powerful, able to deliver on each of His promises.

When we panic, we reveal the frailty of what we have relied upon. If we rely on something of human or natural origin, it will eventually fail us. Yet, if we seek God wholeheartedly and entrust our lives to Him, we know that He will never leave us nor forsake us. We understand from Psalm 46:1: "God is our refuge and strength,/ an ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 91 likewise offers many promises of God's lovingkindness and intervention on behalf of His people.

Where will you turn today for strength? I encourage you to seek God each morning: both reading the Scriptures and praying for His intervention during these difficult days. May we find comfort in Him alone -- and may we share the Gospel of peace with those who are so hungry for peace today!


Lord God, thank You for Your provision: physical, emotional, social, and spiritual. We desperately need You. We have strayed from Your commands and lived according to our own ideas and preferences. We have made idols out of comfort, success, power, wealth, and fame. We bow our knees before You and confess our false idols. Heal our land, O God, for only You are able. Give wisdom to our leaders and our families. Bring us back to Your heart and preserve the precious gift of life. Draw near to us, O God, as we seek You each day. In Jesus's mighty Name, amen.


MEDITATIVE WORSHIP FOR STRENGTH

"Surely Goodness, Surely Mercy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfMWQ_nrlKE

"I Will Exalt You": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSkYP4MSTX0


________________________________________________________________________
596 Glenbrook Road, Unit 13 | "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection
Stamford, CT 06906-1423 | and the life. He who believes in me will
(C) 203.820.1741 | live, even though he dies; and whoever
(H) 203.355.9374 | lives and believes in me will never die.
(E) swe@edwa.info | Do you believe this?'" -- John 11:25,26

No comments:

Post a Comment