Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Blessings in Time

April 16, 2019

Joshua 13-14, Luke 18:1-17, Psalm 85:1-13, Proverbs 13:7-8

There have been so many chapters in my life where I have been in "The Waiting Game," and I can be an impatient one during these times. I like control and making things happen (sound familiar?) Being a middle schooler- I just wanted to wear make up. In high school, I wanted a boy friend. In college, life direction. Post college- wanted the career job, to travel, explore, and a husband. When the husband came around, I wanted the house, kids, etc. I felt like I was always 1-2 steps behind my peers and friends and never able to catch up. I'll always remember being so bummed that I couldn't join my bff backpacking across South America because I didn't have the money, the time off work, bills, etc. I complained to my mom and her words have always stuck with me, "You're time will come." And it did.

I was thinking of that phrase as I read through Joshua today, and what it must have felt like to be Caleb. He is one of those minor characters in the Bible we hear about in Sunday School, but the spotlight is always in Joshua. Rarely do we hear sermons on him and his faithfulness. We know from Joshua 14 that he was 40 years old when he and Joshua explores the land ahead and came back with a favorable report. We know that 45 years have passed and his time has finally come. In those 45 years he did not lose sight of God's promise to him and he "followed the Lord [his] God wholeheartedly." That phrase is used twice.

We know that after those four decades God kept him healthy, and that he was just "as strong today as the day Moses sent [him] out." 45 years is a very long waiting game, but shod did not forget him. He gave him the vigor, the health, and the spirit to reap in the blessings. Because Caleb was obedient, faithful, and trusted in God, he was blessed...His time came. It just took a while...a reminder that it's about God's timing, and not ours. He could have gone many other directions in the second part of his life, but to me, his example in faithfulness is to be sought after. Reminds me of Elizabeth, Hannah and Joseph. Other people who waited and waited for their time to come and later we're blessed by God for their faithfulness and perseverance.

I am reminded of those chapters in my life where I waited and waited. The waiting was not perfect and there were some messy moments, but I also know that I have a great God. He has said "no" many times to my requests and the waiting turned to moving on. There have also been many, many times where God has said "yes" to the waiting requests. I have traveled, I have a career, and an amazing family of Coetzee boys, but it was in God's timing and I recognize the blessings of health and being able to enjoy them....giving Hod the glory. So remember Caleb in these times of waiting. Serve God wholeheartedly, even if the answer is no, or not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment