Saturday, April 6, 2019

April 6: Of the Line from Helplessness to Victory



Deuteronomy 29:1-30:20

Luke 11:37-12:7

Psalm 78:1-31

Proverbs 12:19-20


One of the things that strikes me most in the stories from the Old Testament is how helpless and lost the Israelites who fled Egypt were.  Yes, they'd plundered the Egyptians when they left, taking gold and jewelry.  But they were in no position to do much of anything - not to defend themselves against the Egyptians, not to fight the battles they fought and won, not even to feed or clothe themselves.  Heck, they couldn't even say where they were going next, or when they were leaving.  


They were helpless.  And in their helplessness, they were completely dependent on God.  And in their complete dependence, they were obedient to God.  And because of that obedience, not only were they provided for, they were victorious.  


Now, I admit I struggle with that - not the victorious part, but everything before it.  I don't want to be helpless or dependent; I don't want to have to be obedient.  And the victory I want isn't characterized by clothes that don't wear out nor the absence of wine - I want the abundance of a full wine cellar, a stocked refrigerator, and decent wardrobe, and the ability to go where (and how) I want.  


The world will try to tell me there is nothing wrong with what I want, but in the clear light of scripture, what I want is sin.  I am telling God I know better and, in doing so, denying He is God, and setting myself up in His place.  And, truth be told, when I've acted that way, it has always gone poorly for me.   


Lord, despite our sinfulness, do not relent.  Remind us of the truth of our helplessness and dependence; give us obedient hearts, and lead us to the victory You choose.  


No comments:

Post a Comment