Saturday, March 30, 2019

March 30: Of the Challenge of Salvation

March 30

Man: "Salvation is impossible."
Jesus: "Challenge accepted."

Deuteronomy 13:1-15:23
Luke 8:40-9:6
Psalm 71:1-24
Proverbs 12:5-7

I'm a father who loves his children, but is at times flabbergasted by their thinking, appalled at their actions, and humbled by the realization my own mother is still waiting for the payback of seeing my three kids give me as much trouble combined as I gave her and my dad all by my lonesome.  

I bring this up because in today's OT scripture we read about some of the trouble our children can cause, and how if our "son or daughter...secretly entices you, saying "Let us go worship other gods"...[we] must certainly put them to death."  In fact, our "hand must be the first in putting them to death." 

When I think of the trouble I got into, if my parents had followed the OT to the letter, I would DEFINITELY not have made it to puberty.  I am pretty certain my antics, long before pimples and prom, enticed them to worship at the altar of Johnny Walker and Smirnoff.  And at that  young age, I was just getting started, on a rather steep downslope to perdition, incapable of behaving properly as to save myself.

Which is why today's NT reading, while a frequently recurring theme, is so uplifting to those who, like me, have pasts so checkered a chessboard looks plain by comparison.  When salvation seems impossible, Jesus reminds us the impossible is His specialty.  Consider: a woman 12 years ill with no hope of recovery is cured by His power; a sick, 12 year old girl dies and is raised by His will.  This is the reassurance that, when faced with the impossibility of overcoming our sinfulness, we can turn to Him, pray like the psalmist, and know that the impossibility of our salvation is His specialty.

"Jesus, in You I have taken refuge.  Let me never be put to shame.  In Your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn Your ear to me and save me.  Be my rock of refuge to which I can always go, give the command to save me, for You are my rock and my fortress....For You have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth.  From birth I have relied on You."

No comments:

Post a Comment