Monday, March 25, 2019

Bible blog post Monday March 25th

Unpacking Memories (Deuteronomy 4:1-49)


My parents are moving this week and I have been helping them pack so they will be ready for the big day.  While packing we have come across photo's, nick knack's, gadgets, furniture, dishes, jewelry, art, toys, holiday items, papers, crafts, heirlooms, lamps........lots of things.  What we found in so many of these things were memories.  I was brought back to days from my childhood of watching my mom cooking in the kitchen using spoons and dishes that I was now holding in my hand.  I remembered nights as a little girl when my dad would read me books as we sat next to the big barrel end table that held the eagle based lamp that I was now helping them pack.  I was carefully wrapping up nick knack's that I remembered dusting in order to earn my allowance as a teenager.  I respectfully folded hand crocheted doilies that my Grandmother had made when she was young and then passed down to mother and father and reflected on the experiences and conversations I had with her before she passed away.  The process of helping my parents pack reminded me of a childhood of memories that my parents (and grandparents) helped foster and create.  Good times as well as the not so good were remembered.  I didn't have a perfect life, nobody does.  But through all the times that were remembered as we packed I was reminded that I have been loved and cared for through it all by my parents.  I survived into adulthood  and I carry with me a lifetime of memories and lessons that no one can take from me.  It was so very good to have this time to remember as I often go through the day, and day after day, not remembering, not reflecting on these life building memories.

When I read Deuteronomy 4:1-49 it reminded me of packing for my parents move.  The Israelite's were moving.  It was a long move from Egypt to the Promised land (a 40 year venture).  A lot had happened during this move.  Now that the Israelite's were ready to go in and settle into their new home we read how Moses wanted to take them on another journey - down memory lane.  Moses wanted them to remember both the good and the bad of their experience so that they would reflect on who their God was, His love for them, and all that He had done.  Moses wanted them to remember so that they might not make some of the same mistakes again.  He wanted to make sure they reflected and knew the importance of passing on the these reflections and memories to their children.  Moses knew that life after their move was not going to be a smooth road, there would be bumps and challenges ahead.  It was important for them to remember the bumps and challenges that God had brought them through during their move and how their fears and focus on those challenges rather than their God made their move much more difficult (and lengthy).

Each day is a move for us.  We move from yesterday into today.  We talk about the importance of reading God's word so that we know who God is and that is so very true.  It is equally important for us to take time to reflect and remember what God has done for us as it causes us to see how we have experienced the very God that we have read about.  We need to remember how He saw us through the difficult times so that when difficult times arrive at our doorstep we know who to call and lean on - our God!  We need to reflect on God's love for us, His provision, and instruction.  We need to remember how our lives faired when we chose to listen and follow Him compared to when we chose to do things our own way.  It is easy to get comfortable during the smooth patches of life and start to live without seeking God as our counselor, after all everything is going well so we think "I got this".  It is also easy to forget and to fear or grumble when life takes turns we didn't expect.  Remembering and reflecting daily are important for a healthy relationship with the Lord and for a strong spiritual life that will keep us anchored when we need to be.  It is also important because we should be sharing theses memories with others, mainly our children and the next generation that is following behind us.  Remember our experiences and passing them on can helps others in their journey, in their move to deeper and stronger faith in the Lord.

I encourage you to take time today (and every day) to remember who God is and what He has done in your life.  To see how the God you read about is the God who truly is there for you in life.  I assure each of you that He has done much.  Whether or not you see it as such is a different story.  Pray and ask God to take a walk with you down memory lane and to help you remember, to help you unpack the memories of His love and faithfulness of yesterday as you move into the moments of today.






No comments:

Post a Comment