Monday, September 4, 2017

September 4th Blog Post

 Nuggets of Wisdom


"Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise; apply your heart to what I teach, for it is pleasing when you keep them in your heart and have them ready on your lips."  Proverbs 22:17-19


Congratulations to you!!!  By making a commitment to pick up and read (or try to read) your bible each day you are taking steps to try and gain wisdom. 

Our reading today talked a lot about wisdom (at least 25 times in Ecclesiastes). But reading the bible alone does not ensure wisdom.  I've watched documentaries where biblical scholars impart their "wisdom" on the word of God only to find myself shacking my head in disbelief at how far from the truth of the Gospel their self proclaimed wisdom is.  We recently finished reading the book of Job and I will be honest with you that it is a book I struggle with.  I have difficulty understanding and knowing how I am to read Job and what exactly I can (and am supposed to) gain from it.  Have you ever been like myself and read one of our daily readings only to forget what you read just a short time later?  I can kid myself but I didn't gain any wisdom on those days.  I was only able to check off "bible reading" from my to do list.

Today's Proverb tells us three things we need to do regarding wisdom, "Pay attention, listen and apply".  When we read our one year bibles, listen to a sermon, or sit with a wise friend, we need to make gaining wisdom a priority.  We need to recognize our need for it and to want it. 

James 1:5
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."

When I read the book of Job (or any part of the bible actually) I need and want help to understand it.  I need God to give the wisdom I lack.  I pray this verse in James because it is a promise God gives.  I have prayed it many times while reading the book of Job and I am learning to exercise the fruit of patience as my wisdom and understanding has been a slow progress.  I need to pay attention and listen to the Lord's teaching and when I do find something (I can't give up) I need to apply it to my heart, I need to hold on to it.

It is this last part of gaining wisdom (as stated in Proverbs)  that I love, applying to my heart.  It is easy to read something, and sometimes it is easy to see a nugget of wisdom in it but holding onto that truth, that nugget is sometimes a challenge.

I am working on sitting with a notebook when I read so that when I am finished (or as I am reading) I can write down a nugget or two that I may have discovered, that the Lord has revealed to me.  I keep what I write in that book short and simple and then I try and think back on it throughout my day.  I am also able to go back and read over those wisdom nuggets to refresh my heart and mind.  I also try and find ways to live out any wisdom that I can.  Practice is a great way to help deepen understand and to remember.

What is the benefit of applying wisdom to our heart, storing it up as a treasure (Matthew 6:21)? 

"...wisdom preserves the life of its possessor." Ecclesiastes 7:12

The word preserve means: "to maintain something in its original state".  The wisdom of God found in his word with the aide of the Holy Spirit can help preserve our hearts, our minds, our emotions, our actions, our attitudes to be more like Him (we were created in His image, created to be bearers of His wisdom).  The wisdom from the Lord is life.

So again I say congratulations for taking the step of saying yes to reading the word of God.  Now I encourage you to take it a step further and to make gaining and applying wisdom a daily part of your life.  Ask for, expect, and be ready for God to help you grow in wisdom.

God is read to impart His wisdom.  Are you ready to pay attention, listen, and set to apply it to your hearts?


No comments:

Post a Comment