Saturday, September 16, 2017

September 16: Of Speech and Wisdom, Joy and Gladness

Isaiah 22:1-24:23
Galatians 2:17-3:9
Psalm 60:1-12
Proverbs 23:15-16

When I got up this morning, I thought I was going to reflect on the OT reading today.  But after two conversations, one with my 14- and 12-year old boys on the way to swim practice, the other with my 19 year old daughter over lunch, I realized Proverbs 23:15-16 was the verse God was leading me to reflect upon.

"My son[s…and daughter], if your heart is wise
     Then my heart will be glad indeed;
  My inmost being will rejoice
      When your lips speak what is right."

On this morning's 10 minute ride to swim practice, I asked my boys a question: "What do you think of abortion?"  Having spent the first 15 years of my education under the Jesuits, the answer to me was pretty clear from an early age…as I thought it would be for them.  So it was somewhat jarring to hear they thought it was acceptable - "overpopulation", they said.  The younger boy then opined that China's one child policy might be suitable.  As the older boy nodded in agreement, I kinda saw they weren't really thinking that one through.

I was surprised by their answers - but should I have been?  The world - certainly the US - has taught that abortion is not only acceptable, it is in fact at times ideal.  Some actress who once appeared in some popular kid-genre film recently declared that her first abortion was her best one.  And another actress once mused that she wishes she'd had an abortion so she could identify with other women better.  

The truth is, abortion isn't the only sin we glorify these days, is it?  Adultery, in so many different forms; murder (yes, remember "Raca"?), theft - which begins with covetousness ("First principles, Clarice" - bonus points to whoever can identify the reference)…all these have become acceptable, aspirational almost.

The truth is, my life is rife with sin I've committed because I decided it was acceptable.  In so many ways, the world has had its way with me.  Which brings me to my conversation with my daughter.  We were talking about a father's greatest fear for his children, and I told her how, in my case, it was that they would not get to know the Lord, and their minds would be so unclear as to be deluded by the world.  And this is why the proverb was my reflection point for the day.

Father, grant us the grace to raise our children so that their hearts are full of Your wisdom, so that their words are rich with Your spirit.  Protect them from the deception of the world, that we, our parents, may experience glad hearts, that our inmost beings might rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment