Friday, September 22, 2017

Sept 22 2017

September 22, 2017

Ephesians 1

Who are you?  It sounds likes a simple question, requiring a simple answer, but it really isn't. For example, if some asked me, "Who are you?" I might answer, "Scott Taylor." No, that's my name.

Who are you?   I'm a pastor.... no, that what I do.

I'm an American.... That is where I live.

I'm evangelical ... That is my denomination.

I'm a 6'2," 215-pound man, slightly balding on top (well, that is an exaggeration). But that is my physical appearance, that is not me.  What if I lost a leg or an arm, would I still be me? Of course, I would.  

Who I am is determined by who I know, who I am in relationship with. I believe wholeheartedly that our hope for spiritual growth, meaning, purpose and fulfillment in life is based solely on our relationship with the living God. Our understanding of our riches in Christ is the foundation for determining who we are.  If you don't know who God is, you don't know who you are.  I am very concerned about this because so many people in the church don't know who they are.  An African proverb says, "If you don't know who you are, anyone can name you, and if anyone can name you, you will answer to anything."

In Ephesians 1 we find out who we are. We have been chosen by God to be adopted into his family from the very creation of the world. We have been given every spiritual blessing that can be found in Christ. We have been set free from our sin, purchased off the slave market of sin by Jesus himself. We are forgiven of every sin, past, present and future. We have the emblem of the Holy Spirit stamped on us guaranteeing our future. And we have been told a secret by God Himself; we know how this story ends.

So, in the end, Who am I? I am a son of God!!!  Whose son or daughter, are you?

 


--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment