Saturday, June 3, 2017

June 3: Of Candidates Overlooked...


2 Samuel 20:14-21:22
Acts 1:1-26
Psalm 121:1-8
Proverbs 16:18

Psalm 121 reads like a job interview.  I need someone to help me...whom do I hire?  So this Candidate comes in, hands me His resume.  It's pretty short, and already I'm thinking, good luck with that . And then I read what it says - "the Maker of heaven and earth.".  Oh..  Pretty impressive.  IF I believe Him.  But I'm not sure - I've been disappointed by a lot of the things and people I trusted in the past.  So I keep reading. What's He done, what does He plan to do for me?

Hmmm...won't let me slip.  Wait, that's not right.  He won't even let my foot slip, let alone let me fall.  Interesting.  Hold on..."shade at your right hand"...will not even let the sun harm me?  And what's this - "will keep you from all harm...watch over your life...watch over your coming and going...forevermore?"  Whoa...that's EXACTLY what I need, what I've been looking for. 

I look at this resume one more time, in amazement this time, and I ask Him where He's been all this time I've been hiring others who proved to be disappointments eventually.  Where is He working now?  And I am shocked at His reply - He's been with me all along; I just never asked Him to take on the job.  

And I think, how could I have committed such an oversight?  And then I realize that I knew He was there, but had never bothered to get to know Him.  So when I needed someone, I looked elsewhere.  In my neglect, I never gave myself the chance to realize that all I was ever looking for was right there all along.   And so I ended up doing all the work I wasn't competent to do, depending on people and things that could not deliver.  

Now, instead, He's telling me to relax.  He's got this.  What's that You say?  "Be still, and know that I am God."

Ok.  

No comments:

Post a Comment