Thursday, September 29, 2016

Thursday, September 29

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2016

 

 

“So is my word that goes out from my mouth:

       It will not return to me empty,

       but will accomplish what I desire

       and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)

 

 

I recognize that this passage came from Wednesday’s reading, but it struck a chord with me.  God’s Word accomplishes all those purposes that He intended – for His honor and glory.  Two such purposes include bringing repentance and instilling wisdom. 

 

In a passages from 2 Chronicles, we see His Word turning Israel’s hearts back to Himself:  “[Huldah speaking] ‘This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says concerning the words you heard:  Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before God when you heard what he spoke against this place and its people, and because you humbled yourself before me and tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the Lord.  Now I will gather you to your fathers, and you will be buried in peace.  Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place and on those who live here.’” (2 Chronicles 34:26-28a)

 

The nation’s change of heart draws out the compassion of God.  He relents in His judgments for a time.  The truth of the Word demands a response, and we honor God by acknowledging our shortcomings and turning back to the Lord when we have strayed from Him.  Also, 1 John 1:9 discusses the effects of personal repentance:  “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

 

In addition, God’s Word sets the table for feeding our minds and hearts with nourishment.  We become partners with Him by taking an active role in incorporating wisdom into our lives and shunning the world’s lies.  Sometimes, these lies stare us boldly in the face, stirring our consciences and allowing us to flee like the young man Joseph from Potiphar’s seducing wife.  Other times, however, these lies prove much more insidious, creeping into our minds over time and wearing down our defenses.  We must guard our hearts through active means.  We must cling to the truth of God’s Word and avoid the filth.

 

As you reflect on daily situations, I encourage you to sort through the truth and the lies.  You might consider the following questions:

 

a.       What do the Scriptures have to say about this matter?

b.       What truths must I uphold in this situation?

c.        What lies are trying to take me off course?

d.       How may I remove these lies and avoid their further spread?

e.       What may I do in order to build more truth into my life surrounding this topic?

 

 

 

Lord God, thank You for providing Your Word to bring us to repentance and wholeness in line with Your precepts.  Teach us Your wisdom so that we might fight the pull of the world’s lies.  Give us courage to live our Your Word, even when it costs us.  We worship You today.  In Jesus’s Name, amen.

 


________________________________________
1) Blog:                 
http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment