Sunday, September 11, 2016

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Saturday, September 11, 2016

"[The Father] said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 
-- 2 Corinthians 12:9

     A few years ago, I remember seeing a video clip of a little girl trying to operate her car-seat belt in the backseat of her father's car (her father was recording her).  Though he gently asked, "Can I help [you]," she sharply replied, "No, worry 'bout yo'self!"  It was obvious from the video that the father had captured a portion of an exchange that went on for several minutes with the same repeated outcome - "Worry 'bout yo'self!"  This video was responsible for many hours of doubled-over belly laughing with those awesome, happy, laughing tears that we all really love.  It was absolutely hilarious!  Yes, I was one of those "doubled over, tear-laughing" people until I realized how much of this little girl's attitude toward her father was reflected in my attitude toward my Heavenly Father.  Can you relate?

     On the other side of that coin is a memory I have of a little girl with a broken toy that she just can't seem to fix.  She looks at the broken mass trying to diagnose the issue.  However, after a few seconds of absolute confusion she turns around to find her father.  He's sitting in a chair in this waiting room reading a magazine.  With her little awkward legs she runs/bounces over to her father and sweetly ask, "Daddy, can you help me?"  Daddy puts down his magazine immediately and responds, "Sure, sweetheart.  Let's see."  After a minute of tinkering, he presents the toy back to his daughter and at that point I heard some of the sweetest words I had ever heard: "Daddy!  You DID it!"

     Paul was faced with an issue that he couldn't solve - a "thorn in his flesh."  It doesn't help us to speculate about the actual nature of that issue because that's not why Paul is telling this story from his experience with God.  What's most important to know is that Paul recognized his inability and weakness.  Despite his education, his prestige, his amazing encounters with God, and the great successes he had in missionary work, Paul was like that little girl in the waiting room.  He prayed for His Heavenly Father to fix the issue, but received an answer that no one would expect:  "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  From this revelation, Paul realized that it is better to be "weak" (faith-FULL-y humble) so that "Christ's power may rest" on him.  

     Which child do you want to be like?  The first child wanted to fix everything herself so she could say "Daddy, look at what I did!"  The second child was pleased to say, "Daddy, you did it!"  God made us to be dependent on Him for strength and wisdom.  We participate with our obedience, but He supplies all of the power!  The word of God says, "The eyes of the Lord go around looking in all the earth for people who are faithful to him so that he can make them strong" (2 Chronicles 16:9).  So we pray: Father, may we always find our sufficiency in the grace You provide us.  Show us how to humble ourselves, realizing our weakness in the presence of Your great power, that Your power would always rest upon us for Your glory alone.  We love You in Jesus' Name.  Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment