Saturday, August 20, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

August 20, 2016_Blog

By Keesha Sullivan


"Do you know why I have these talks with you guys?" I said slightly saddened by my students' poor behavior that day. One of the students immediately raised her hand, "Yes! Because you love us," she replied quite enthusiastically. The students in her class nodded in agreement. I tried  to regain my composure from the comment. She had caught me off guard. I didn't realize they knew how much I cared about them. Twenty-five eager faces seemed to be awaiting my reply to the little girl's comment. I looked at them, and my heart melted. All the frustration I had felt only moments before seemed to dissipate. My prayers for every student in this class and my prayers for God's love to fill me as I taught were being answered.  Surprised by the overflow of my Father's love, I smiled and stated, "I really do love you guys, and I sincerely want the best for you." They received my affirmation, and that class was more on task that day then I had ever seen before. In fact, they continued to strive to do better for the last three months that we had together.

This memory seemed to pop into my mind as I read the scripture for today. Paul talks about not only seeking the gifts of God, but he explains how we should serve others with these gifts. He says in 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:1, "But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." The greatest way to serve others with the gifts that God bestows on us is through His love.

God's love changes hearts, minds, and even actions. His love softens and heals wounds; it makes people feel worthy and special. His love opens up people's hearts and earns you a right to be heard. Without love nothing changes. With love all things are possible, even getting twenty-five students to get back on task and work hard.

Father, thank You for loving us so much that You would send Jesus, Your Only Son, to die that we would have the honor of being in relationship with You.  Thank You for loving us even while we were sinners and enemies to You.  We cry out for You to fill our hearts with Your love.  May Your love flow from our very hearts like streams of living water and quench the thirsty hearts of those who have never encountered You before.  All for Your glory and in Jesus' Name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment