Monday, April 11, 2016

April 11: Of obedience, the prerequisite for leadership, and excuses

Joshua 3:1-4:24
Luke 14:7-35
Psalm 80:1-19
Proverbs 12:27-28

The last two weeks we've read (and I've blogged) about people who had such strong relationships with God - Moses, for example, who spoke to God directly; and Mary, Martha's sister, who knew our Lord well enough to understand how much better it was for her to sit at His feet rather than help her sister. 

Today we read about Joshua.  Like Moses before him, God chose Joshua, and God spoke directly to Joshua, giving him unequivocal instructions which, from a human standpoint, would seem somewhat disconcerting to say the least.  "Let me get this straight, Lord.  You want those carrying the Ark of the Covenant to walk INTO the Jordan River.  Now, while it is at flood stage.  I mean, this is the Ark we're talking about - aren't we supposed to keep it safe?"

No, there was none of that from Joshua.  All we get from him is a convicted obedience, one so strong and so resolute that he is able to lead the rest of Israel - remember, none of whom had been of age when they'd first crossed the Red Sea - across the raging Jordan into a land whose inhabitants the Israelites had once feared...all this shortly after the death of the man Israel had grown to follow.  

I would very much be able to lead like that.  The very first problem that becomes apparent is that, in order to lead like that, Joshua had to first be willing to follow - God, in this instance.  He had to be willing to take his guidance from God.  When unsure, he had to wait for certainty.  When things were unclear, he had to wait for clarity.  And when he got them both, he had to be prepared for obedience - unswerving, unhesitating obedience.  

And, as I'd already mentioned in a previous blog, obedience is something with which I have long struggled.  Today's NT reading just pointed out where some of my problems lie.  I mean, if you are like me, you will have found yourself in situations where you knew what needed to be done, but didn't.  My list is long - homework and piano practice are just the very first items on a very long list.  One of them, even today, is prayer.  I might wake up a bit late, and rather than pray and go in late, I go in on time and skip my time with God.  My excuses are just as bad as the guy who bought the field, the other one who bought the oxen, and still the other who just got married.  

Father, in my head, I know I am supposed to put You first - above my father and mother, my wife and kids, my sisters, my friends, my work.  But You know how much I struggle with that.  Help us all, please, to overcome our disobedience, that we might be followers like Joshua was.

No comments:

Post a Comment