Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thursday, December 17

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2015

Nahum 1:1–3:19

Revelation 8:1–13

Psalm 136:1–26

Proverbs 30:7–9

 

 

In today’s reading, we came across an instructive meditation from Proverbs:

 

“Two things I ask of you, Lord;

    do not refuse me before I die:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me;

    give me neither poverty nor riches,

    but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you

    and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’

Or I may become poor and steal,

    and so dishonor the name of my God.”

 

 

These remarks are meditations on this passage, in light of recent events.

 

Indeed, living in luxury tends to inflate our sense of self-importance, while poverty tends to degrade our humanity.  As believers, we rely fully on the Lord but remember that He has made us fearfully and wonderfully, meaning that each person has dignity and honor because of the God-stamp in them.  We have the special calling of loving and serving the (spiritually, emotionally, and financially) poor, so that God may be greatly glorified in their lives.

 

For most of my life, I worried terribly about achieving greatness, primarily for my own benefit.  This concern has distracted me from experiencing joy and has caused me to base my worth on “success” rather than God’s loving affirmation.  This year, I faced some setbacks that helped me to refocus on serving in a godly way, just for its own sake.  This lesson of turning away from performance orientation has been among the hardest that I have ever faced.  I thank God that He has taken me through this year’s struggles in order to reveal more of His good purposes and lovingkindness in the midst of all that has transpired.

 

Yesterday, a recent UConn graduate told me the exciting news that he had received a job offer in Norwalk -- all from his first interview!  He recounted the amazing circumstances surrounding the opportunity, and it is clearly by God’s hand and plan.  What a tremendous opportunity to see trusting in God and seeing His provision.

 

During this Christmas season, please look for opportunities to give the gift of your presence and to share about the Presence of Christ in your life.  These gift of forgiveness, while free, has come at a great price.  Please remember the great sacrifices that Jesus made, not only in His death but also in the humility of His life, which started from a lowly feeding trough.

 

 

Lord Jesus, we give you praise for Your presence and thank You that we may know You.  We need You desperately.  Help us to remember our reliance on You in all circumstances.  Give us wisdom to see when our hearts are slipping into self-sufficiency.  Bring us joy, as we remember Your love and Presence.  In Your holy Name, amen.

 


________________________________________
1) Blog:                 
http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment