Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday, June 2, 2015
2 Samuel 19:11-20:13
John 21-1:25
Psalm 120:1-7
Proverbs 16:16-17

I have found myself remiss in keeping up with my post over the last few weeks; however, I tried to catch up on some days that were before my posting date.  To my surprise, I am beginning to enjoy the story lines of the Old Testament.  As I had mentioned previously, I usually found the Old Testament (and history in general) to be very tedious.  I have a difficult time remembering what I just read.  I am sure I will never remember it all or memorize verses the way many of my friends have, but I am finally GETTING INTO THE WORD and it is a very good feeling.

The general theme that I picked up on seems to center on forgiveness.  As the Lord has forgiven those who follow Jesus, so have many of those followers learned to forgive others.  A pay-it-forward effect.  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

However, I believe the one section of my reading that struck me the most was found in John 21:15-25.  After Simon Peter and his men return to the shore with nets full of fish to the spot where Jesus was waiting for them, he asked Peter three times, "Do you love me?"  It was also the third time that Jesus had appeared to his disciples after He was raised from the dead.  They knew Him, but did not know it was Him.

Peter was indeed hurt by the repetitive question and his response to the Lord was simple enough - "Lord, you know all things, You know that I love You."  This was just Jesus' way of preparing Peter for what was to come....a death by which he would glorify God.  As Jesus instructed Peter to "follow me" I believe this was his instruction to keep delivering the Gospel.  Just as the net was dragged to shore with 153 fish - it was not broken.  When the Gospel of the Lord is delivered to mankind, the nets will be filled, and those who love and seek the Lord will remain in the unbroken nets.   Once the Lord gets a hold of you - know that He is not letting go.  I also took pleasure in knowing that there were so many things that Jesus did - the world itself could not contain the books that could be written!

No comments:

Post a Comment