Wednesday, June 3, 2015

June 3

Acts 1

Generally when we think of an epidemic it usually has a negative connotation.  We might think of small pox, swine flu, whopping cough, polio, or a host of other fatal diseases that spread throughout the world.  For a moment, let's take the word epidemic, or outbreak, and reframe it in terms of the Gospel.  "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  (v. 8)  Clearly, the church received authority and began to grow by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Through personal testimony and bold teaching, the disciples were commanded to cause an epidemic and spread the Word to the ends of the earth.  Notice it wasn't a request, it was a command.  So here we are, 2000 years later, and now we are part of the Body of Christ and have been commissioned to continue to spread the epidemic of the Gospel. Jesus did not leave us to carry out His mission alone. We have been given the same authority as His disciples through the power of the Holy Spirit. So if there is someone I haven't extended grace, forgiveness or love to, the same way Jesus has given it me,  then I haven't reached the ends of the earth in my mission.  If I haven't introduced Jesus to a friend, family member, or my neighbor then again I haven't reached the ends of the earth.  The end of the earth doesn't mean I have to go to China.  An epidemic starts by being in contact with people one at time. Lord I pray that through the power of your Holy Spirit we all become a part of spreading the epidemic of the Gospel.  Thank you Lord for the Cross. I pray we all are bold witnesses for You today in our actions and our words.




Randi

1 comment:

  1. Randi, thank you for sharing. We have something that we want everyone we come in contact with to catch! I have never thought of it as an epidemic before, but it's so true. And rather then it being something that kills, it gives life.

    ReplyDelete