Monday, June 8, 2015

June 8: Humility and Urgency

The story of Solomon's wisdom isn't new to me. When God appeared to him in a dream, and asked Solomon what he wanted, Solomon pleased God by asking for wisdom to do God's will in the job God had given him - not wealth, not success, not the death of his enemies. Two things I took away from this this morning:

1. Solomon was humble. He'd just been promoted to a new job, and he understood how thoroughly unprepared, how thoroughly unqualified he was for the position. Consider how sharply that contrasts with so many who are given a promotion - how they feel they need to be able to show everyone - their bosses in particular - that they are competent for the role. I remember coming out of graduate school 20 years ago, and becoming a stock broker; I thought I was already supposed to have the answers - in my pride and foolishness, I failed to realize I not only did not know the answers, I did not even know the questions.

2. God did not appear simply out of the blue - Solomon called to him, repeatedly, fervently. Consider: "The king went to Gibeon to offer sacrifices, for that was the most important high place, and Solomon offered a thousand burnt offerings on that altar." God came to Solomon in response to Solomon's prayers. God came to Solomon because Solomon demonstrated how fervently he needed God, how desperately he wanted to know God.

Today's reading makes me think two things. First, I may not be a king, but I am still thoroughly unqualified for the tasks and the roles God has set before me: at home, as husband and father; at work, and in church. I need His help, His guidance, His strength. And second, in order to receive that guidance, I need to reach out to Him like I mean it, like it truly matters to me.

#2 isn't always easy - it seems there constantly is reason to forego or postpone or shorten prayer. I need to remember: a thousand burnt offerings. That's what Solomon was prepared to do to get the help he knew he needed. As I love my wife and kids, as I value my church and my place of work and my family and friends, how could I do any less?

No comments:

Post a Comment