Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thursday, April 3

THURSDAY, APRIL 3, 2014

Deuteronomy 23:1–25:19

Luke 10:13–37

Psalm 75:1–10

Proverbs 12:12–14

 

 

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

 

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

 

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”  (Luke 10:36,37)

 

 

The Parable of the Good Samaritan resonates in my mind as a crucial corollary to the Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18:9–14).

 

In that passage, the Pharisee proudly “‘stood by himself and prayed:  ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people – robbers, evildoers, adulterers – or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’”  In short, the Pharisee leans on his own righteousness in approaching God and, because of his separation from the tax collector’s lifestyle, deservedly and prudently stands at a distance.

 

Meanwhile, the “‘tax collector stood at a distance.  He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’”  Jesus then explains that “this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God.  For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.’”

 

When we have a proper view of ourselves, recognizing that we are God’s image-bearers but also that we have fallen short of His glory and His standards, we may approach life with a humble and grateful attitude.  We have never deserved righteousness; instead, we receive it as a free gift, the penalty paid only through the shed blood of Jesus on the Cross.  Because of Christ’s atonement, God grants redemption -- a buying back from our slavery to sin and victimization – and victory to His children.  Pride merely separates us from God and reveals our lack of gratitude towards what God alone has done.  Despite this redemption, we still struggle with sin, causing us to cling more and more to God and to seek the filling and empowering of the Holy Spirit for daily living.

 

By extension, the Parable of the Good Samaritan suggests the way in which the redeemed sinner should interact with a hurting world.  Instead of distancing ourselves from the injured and broken, compassion calls us to step in and give freely from that which God has blessed us.  The priest and Levite in the parable did not wish to associate with this outcast, but the Samaritan, inherently humbled by his birth and by the ongoing detest he faced, became involved and ensured this traveler’s survival.  By extending generosity to the poor and needy, we may initiate and propagate a cycle of blessing and the increase of God’s glory and praise for what He has done through His people.

 

How may we develop our hearts of compassion?  Please find below a few brief thoughts:

 

1.        We must draw near to “the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love a faithfulness… ” (Exodus 34:6)  We read the Word and pray to receive a revelation of His character, so that we may reflect it in this world.

 

2.       We must truly see other people.  We must seek to understand before being understood.  We may begin by asking questions, such as:  “What is his or her experience like?  What family circumstances have they encountered in life?  Lord, how have you shaped this person?  How may I love them in a similar manner as You love them?”  Observation stirred compassion in Jesus’s heart:  “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” (Matthew 9:36)

 

3.       We must draw near to people.  We must be willing to invest the time and emotional deposit of being willing to face hurt and rejection.  Bless others, through the Holy Spirit living within you, with your presence.

 

4.       We must remember that the grace we have received is all-sufficient.  “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.” (1 Corinthians 15:10a)  “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)  “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” (Colossians 3:12)

 

 

Lord Jesus, bring forth in us a tender compassion for the people in our community and around the world.  Give us opportunities to bless others with Your presence and with the gracious gifts that You have poured into our lives.  Grant us eyes to see and ears to hear those who are suffering and alone.  Give us the courage not to look away but to engage.  Take our lives, Lord.  In Jesus’s Name, amen.

 

 

“Take My Life”

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QzHnVGDGt0)

By Chris Tomlin and Louie Giglio

 

Take my life, and let it be consecrated to Thee.

Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.

Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.

 

Take my voice, and let me sing always, only for my King.

Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.

Take my silver and my gold, not a mite would I withhold.

Take my intellect, and use every power as You choose

 

Here am I, all of me!  Take my life; it's all for Thee!

 

Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.

Take my heart; it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord; I pour at Your feet, its treasure store.

Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

 

Here am I, all of me!  Take my life; it's all for Thee!

Here am I, all of me!  Take my life; it's all for Thee!

Here am I, all of me!  Take my life; it's all for Thee!

Here am I, all of me!  Take my life; it's all for Thee!

 


________________________________________
1) Blog:                  http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment