Monday, April 14, 2014

April 14: Belief - the duty of the unworthy servant

Joshua 9:3-10:43
Luke 16:19-17:10
Palm 83:1-18
Proverbs 13:4

At the end of the movie The Matrix Revolutions, when Neo had saved Zion by sacrificing his own life, two of Neo's supporters were reunited, and Seraph asked the Oracle if she had always known how things were going to turn out for the best.  The Oracle's answer was "Oh no.  But I believed."  When I remember the trilogy, I realize there were many occasions and opportunities for the Oracle to despair - but she didn't.  Instead, she believed.

In the Old Testament reading today, the Israelites are called many times to believe - to trust on, and depend upon, God and His strength, to go up against strong opponents.  And for the most part, they chose to believe - to good result.  In the New Testament we read about Lazarus and the rich man, and what struck me today had nothing to do with either of them, but with the rich man's family, to whom the rich man begs Abraham send Lazarus, that they might receive the testimony of one risen from the dead, and so avoid the rich man's terrible fate.  Abraham refuses, and points out that if the relatives have failed to choose to believe in the Moses and the prophets, they are likely to find reasons not to believe someone risen from the dead.

That's the thing, isn't it?  Belief is a choice.  There will always be arguments against the existence of God, reasons to believe either He does not exist, or does not care.  And yet we have the benefit of the testimony of not just Moses and the prophets, but Jesus and his apostles as well.  We have more than abundant reason to choose to believe.  Even better, while faith is essential to belief, Jesus points out that not much faith is needed at all.  

I know I struggle with belief.  Even worse, as much as I stumble over things myself, I have been cause for others to stumble as well, particularly those nearest and dearest to me, like my children.  I pray for the faith the size of the mustard seed, and the direction to be an instrument of God's love to those whom He brings to me.  Then I will be able to say "I am an unworthy servant, and have only done my duty."


No comments:

Post a Comment