Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21 - It meant THAT MUCH to him...

Joshua 22:21-23:16
Luke 20:27-47
Psalm 89:14-37
Proverbs 13:17-19

Joshua is dying.  He is about to be gathered to his fathers.  And yet, even now, to his dying breath, he is pushing the Israelites to keep and to honor their relationship with God.  What does that tell us about Joshua?  Two things come to mind - that he loves God, and he loves the Israelites.  And so he keeps reminding the Israelites of what he knows to be of greatest, of singular importance - greater than the land they now occupy, and the peace and prosperity they now enjoy: their relationship with God, their obedience to Him.  It meant THAT MUCH to him.

What matters that much to us?  I know my kids do to me.  But when I look back, I realize that much of what I've tried to teach them has been about what the world tries to teach us - about effort and results, school and sport and other such things.  The funny thing is, I have struggled with so much frustration when my children have not learned, or have refused to learn, the lessons I try to teach them.  If I must suffer frustration, shouldn't it be for a much higher purpose?

I pray that God give me the wisdom He gave Joshua, that like Joshua I might focus my children on what is most important - their relationship with Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment