Monday, March 24, 2014

Wed, March 19th

Wednesday, March 19 (sorry so late!)
Numbers 28:16-31, 29, Luke 3, Psalm 62:1-12, Proverbs 11:18,19

Last week at work, one of my partners (my workers) spilled 2 liters of iced coffee right in the middle of a rush. This is not out of the ordinary. At one time or another we all make some pretty big messes. I am notorious. I looked over at her, smiled and said, "You just can't win!" Meaning that here we go again... Nothing ever goes right for her! It got cleaned up with out a problem and we just kept on working. But reading Psalm 62 made me think of all the times that I thought to myself that I just can't win. I just can't catch a break! Seriously life! When it rains, it pours, right?

David was the author of this Psalm, and in comparison to my life, there were many times he could not catch a break. He wrote this at a time when all his enemies wanted to kill him. They lied about him, slandered him, and were totally against him. It put so much in perspective for me. I have never been in this situation. Most of us have not had a bounty on our head. But there are many storms and trials in our lives that have have been difficult and we wondered how we were going to make it to another day.

I am amazed at David's words and true picture of faith in this Psalm. He knew that his ONLY salvation was in God. He called God his Refuge, his Rock, and fortress. These are all solid comforts and signs of safety. I believe he truly lived and believed this. It made me reflect on what my rock was. What or who do I put my trust in? I shamefully say that it is not always in God. I put my trust in myself. I want control. I know what's best for me. I also know that those are the times I feel the most defeated and vulnerable.

So how do we fix this? How do I fix this? (My thoughts are, "Duh Nikkie! You know the answer!") we can't fix ourselves. God is the one who transforms our hearts and minds. In verse 8 David said, "O my people, trust in Him at all times. Pour out your heart to Him." That is a step. I don't know what that totally looks like yet, but I'm working on it. This is my prayer this week, month, year, how ever long it takes. It is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment