Monday, March 24, 2014

March 23

Deuteronomy 1

What intrigued me today were the instructions in verse 40, “but as for you, turn around and set out towards the desert along the route to the Red Sea.”

That means the nation would be going backward. My personality only has one compass setting, forward. I hate getting lost and having to go backward.  Once I failed to get off at an exit on the Mass Pike and I ended up having to travel 13 miles in the wrong direction to correct my mistake. Israel was also directionally challenged. What should have been an 11-day journey ended up taking 40 years!  That is what I call being colossally lost.  Moses recounted the story in verse 26, “But you were unwilling to go up; you rebelled against the command of the Lord your God.”

The problem with the Jews and mankind as a whole is that we don’t like following God’s directions. William Ernest Henley said it well, “I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.” That is just downright foolishness. What good is it to be the master and captain of your soul if you are headed in the wrong direction?

Why would we not allow the creator of heaven and earth to show us the directions through life? Wouldn’t it be better to have Jesus as a GPS through life than trying to find the pathway ourselves?

The Lord was looking for obedient people to follow him during the Exodus; He is still looking for obedient people today. He does not reveal his directions to rebellious people or nations. It is good for us to daily ask God for direction in life. Committing yourself to daily reading of His Word and prayer are the best ways to make sure you don’t have to turn around and head backward.

In the end being obedient could save you a lot of time; maybe even 40 years!



--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment