Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday BlogPost (2/22/14)

Saturday, February 22, 2014 [by Keesha Sullivan]

Mark 6:2-6

 

"When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. 'Where did this man get these things?' they asked. 'What's this wisdom that has been given him that he even does miracles! Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?' And they took offense at him. Jesus said to them, 'Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor.' He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith."

            These people tried to use logic to rationalize why Jesus could not be the Christ. Rationalization is when a person substitutes a natural reason in place of a supernatural explanation. The people brought up valid questions. Jesus and his father Joseph were carpenters for a trade. They knew Jesus' mother, father, brother, and sisters. Wouldn't the Son of God come from an unknown place and an unknown family? In order for these men and women to believe, they were going to have to take a huge step of faith. Everything concerning Jesus would not be able to be explained scientifically, logically, and rationally. They were going to have to trust God's Word even in the midst of their uncertainty.

            I am guilty of trying to use logic to rationalize when God speaks to me at times. I remember one morning I got up a bit late. I had several tasks I wanted to get accomplished, and the Lord said spend time with me first. I was worried that if I spent time with the Lord that none of those tasks would get done in time. I was rationalizing why it would be better to do my work and then spend time with Him. I decided to spend time with Him, because I wanted to be obedient. As Kenny drove me to work, I checked the work website. We had a two hour delay, which meant I had two hours to get those tasks done that seemed so daunting just a few hours prior. I smiled at the Lord and thought. "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need" (NLT Matthew 6:33).

            I know that situation seemed small, but it grew my faith in God. I trust in Him more due to these testimonies. It's easy for us to try to be logical and to rationalize God's Word and the words that He speaks to us at times, but we serve a Supernatural God. Matthew 19:26 says, "Jesus looked at them intently and said, 'Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.'"

            Lord, help us to trust You and Your Word. Even when it seems that things will not work out in the natural realm, help us to believe in the supernatural. Help us to put our faith in You. We love You so much Lord. We thank You for Your hand over our lives. In the mighty name of Jesus we pray. Amen

 


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment