Thursday, February 6, 2014

2.5.2014: Exodus 21:22-23;13, Matthew 24:1-28, Psalm 29, Proverbs 7:6-23

2.5.2014: Exodus 21:22-23;13, Matthew 24:1-28, Psalm 29, Proverbs 7:6-23
 
            The chapter that we read in Exodus and Matthew were a little intense for sure.  They both deal with heavy and controversial issues such as eye for an eye and retaliation, abortion can be looked at in Exodus, and the Great Tribulation, war and End Times are discussed in Matthew, and the woman of Proverbs illustrates so much sin.  Ugh.  Its heavy, uncomfortable, and most are all subjects that I try to avoid….they all can hit deep and personal.  Even to the point that one of the verses we read on Wednesday has messed up the way I think and pretty much brings up one of my biggest fears.  Next to a few of these verses I wrote the words  "Yikes," "huh," and  "Jesus…help…free me." 
 
Yikes:
·      Exodus 21:23-25:  The "Golden Rule" of an eye for an eye.  Nations and peoples were plagued because of this way of living and thinking.  But the purpose of this in scripture was not to justify retaliation and revenge, but was more judicial in civil cases.  Jesus responded to this in Luke 6:27, "But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you." 
·      Exodus 23:13, "Be careful to do everything I have said to you…"  Definitely yikes.  There has never has been and never will be a way that I, the ugly sinner that I am, will EVER be close to do this!  Right?  The answer and hope?  Jesus.  Ephesians 2: 8-9, "For by GRACE you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."
·      Matthew 24:6-14, talks about what will happen as we get closer to the end times.  It's a yikes moment for me because it looks no different from today.  I believe we are experiencing the "birth pains," and that we "will be hated by all nations because of me [Jesus.]  The hope comes as the verses continue that "he who stands firm to the end, will be saved," and that Jesus will return. 

Huh:
·      Exodus 21:22-23, discusses if a pregnant woman is harmed, leading  into the Golden Rule as seen above.  The scriptures make clear that the fetus is a life.  Babies, born and unborn are a life.  

Jesus…help…free me:
·      Matthew 24:19, this verse messed me up…one reason I'm 30 and still scared to have kids.  That's a Nikkie truth.  But I also know that God is bigger and sovereign.  I just struggle with believing in it. 
 
So even though we have some rough, rough (in my opinion) verses, it's such a comfort to have hope in the Scriptures too. In Exodus 22:27 God reminds us that, "When he cries out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate." Psalm 29 is part of that hope and I need to be reminded of it more than you know.  God is described as being Glorious, Holy, Powerful, Majestic, Almighty, Sovereign, King, and giving strength and blessings of peace.  God's voice is mentioned seven times in these 11 verses.  It's a reminder that He truly is Omnipresent (everywhere, all the time!) and His voice is there.  Just need to remember to be still, and listen for it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment