Monday, February 24, 2014

February 24: Sin, intent and taking offense - affairs of the heart

Leviticus 15:1-16:28
Mark 7:1-23
Psalm 40:11-17
Proverbs 10:13-14

God gave the people of the Old Testament an instruction manual for the attainment of righteousness that was excruciatingly elaborate and immeasurably complex.  I can only imagine how hopelessly difficult it was to follow when I remember the problems I have just trying to figure out the TV remote control.  In today's example, it was difficult even just to figure out if one was unclean.  There was a consultation, an observation, a waiting period, possibly a second consultation...and throughout that time there was the possibility the person was unclean and, consequently, defiling others as well.  So complicated and, as we see from the Pharisees in Jesus's time, so easy to corrupt as well.  

In the New Testament portion of the reading, Jesus shows us a different way of determining whether one was unclean - by looking at a person's heart or, as I understand it from this example, the person's intent.  The Pharisees would declare property "Corban", or "devoted to God".  While this might seem a valid, even noble reason, its purpose was to avoid having to use the property to help their parents.  The law may have been good, but there was malice in the adherence, making the obedient action sinful.  

So what is important is what's in the heart - and, in my case at least, that gives rise to a whole new can of worms. First, I take offense too easily, to quickly, and almost always without any regard for the other person's intent.  And second, because my heart struggles with all sorts of sinfulness, which is - surprise! - manifest in my speech, my thoughts, my actions, sinfulness so persistent and so impossible to completely overcome.  So all the more reason to thank God that He knows my sinfulness, is always ready to forgive me, and to help me change both my readiness to take offense, and my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment