Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Blogpost 8/5

Monday, August 5, 2013 [Waiting on the Lord: A Life's Lesson]
Psalm 27:7-14
Proverbs 20:21, 22

Teach me how to live, O Lord. Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. (Psalms 27:11, 14 NLT)
Don't say, "I will get even for this wrong." Wait for the Lord to handle the matter. (Proverbs 20:22 NLT)

The lesson of waiting on the Lord:  I'm still trying to learn this lesson.  The test of whether I've learned it or not comes with every situation that I face where I have to wait.  Sometimes I pass the test with flying colors - other times I fail miserably.  But I believe this is a lesson that LITERALLY takes one's entire life to learn.
Why is waiting so difficult?  It's all about control.  Most of the time, I think that I know how a situation is "supposed" to play out.  You know how it is, after having lived for a few decades and seen a few things we begin to think that we know a few...........well, everything!  
Here are a few typical thoughts that wage war against our waiting on the Lord.
1. I know what I would do in this situation if I were God.
2. God never said that I couldn't do this.
3. This is the same situation as before.  I already know what I should do.

Here are a few Scriptures that come to mind in response to these thoughts.
1. Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10)
2. My thoughts are higher than your thoughts (Isaiah 55:8)
3. People make plans but only God's plans will succeed. (Proverbs 19:21; 16:9)

God's ways are perfect, and He knows how to craft circumstances such that EVERYONE involved receives what they should in a way that is suitable for their good and for God's glory. The same goes for justice.  Many times (more often than not probably) our aim is to get revenge when we are wronged.  However, many times God's goal is transformation of the heart that wronged us.  That is totally God's business and only He has the power to work out circumstances so that a change of heart can occur.  This is why He says, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay" (Romans 12:19).

In today's reading, the psalmist writes, "[Teach me...Lead me...for my enemies are WAITING for me."  He follows this prayer request with strong words of encouragement for all of us - "WAIT patiently for the Lord.  Be brave and courageous."  There is an adversary or a difficulty or a circumstance, etc. that is waiting for us.  The wisest thing that we can do, when we think we have the answers and when we know that we don't have the answers, is wait on the Lord.

Lord give us strength to wait on You!
----------

This link is to a song by John Waller that I first heard while watching the movie, "Fireproof."  I love the lyrics! 

And, this link is to a song by one of my favorite gospel artists, Donnie McClurkin.  It's entitled, "Wait On the Lord."  A beautiful song...


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment