Saturday, August 17, 2013

August 17: Don't get mad, get even! ;)

Nehemiah 12:27-13:31
1 Corinthians 11:2-16
Psalm 35:1-16
Proverbs 21:17-18

While I suppose I could've reflected on Nehemiah's uncompromising purification of the remnant of Israel, what struck me most about today's reading was how much music was a part of it.  In fact, not since David came singing back into Jerusalem (to his wife's disdain) and the Israelites conquered Jericho did music seem such a huge part of the reading.  Read the OT reading again - not just one, but two large choirs, musicians from all around the region, cymbals, harps and lyres, to celebrate joyfully and give thanks, finding their places in the House of God.  And they weren't incidental - reading on, we realize that they were valued, their contributions were important, and "all Israel contributed the daily portions for the musicians..."

After the gifts of salvation and family and friends, the gift of music I received is the one for which I am most grateful.  But it would have been for nothing had my father paid for music lessons, and had my mother not insisted I practice daily.  The gift of music I received was less than that given to some, more than that given to others - but it did not make a difference to the imperative I use it, and use it for His glory.  I am further grateful for having had many opportunities, up to this day, to use this gift in God's service.

It saddens me to hear many people say they have no gift for music...the truth is, the beauty of the music is not in how it sounds, but in how it is expressed.  I've heard toddlers sing off key from the heart sound more beautiful than trained sopranos just going through the motions.  So if you haven't yet, please - sing out.  God is listening.  Do not worry about what the other person might think of your tone or timbre.  Instead, remember three things:

1.  Singing is twice praying
2.  You're singing in church - what are they going to do, ask you to stop?
3.  If God gave you a voice, it is a way to give thanks.  If He didn't, it's a way to get even! ;)

So don't get mad, get even!

No comments:

Post a Comment