Saturday, June 1, 2013

June 1 - An Inkling of Our Father's Love

2 Samuel 18:1-19:10
John 20:1-31
Psalm 119:153-176
Proverbs 16:14-15

Despite all he'd done to David, David never stopped loving Absalom.  And when Absalom died, David lamented his passing, even though his death meant the immediate threat to David's life, and to his kingship, had been eliminated.  I can empathize with David two ways - I have children of my own, and whatever they have done, I've never stopped loving them, and never will.  And I have a father who I know, for all I have put him and my mom through, has never stopped loving me, however difficult I've made it for him.

When I was growing up, it was difficult to realize, and then to remember, that my father loved me, let alone how much.  I never realized what he did, to what extent he went, to take care of me, and never realized how ungratefully I often responded.  Even now that I am a father myself, I still struggle to recognize all he continues to do for me.

With the difficulty I have recognizing my earthly father's love, it should come as no surprise how much more difficult it is to realize how much my Heavenly Father loves me, and to recognize all He does, and all He wants for me.  In my ignorance, I take His love for granted, and I sin.  How reassuring it is, then, to read that even Mary, who had spent all that time with Jesus, did not recognize Him, though He stood right in front of her.    How reassuring it is as well to read that our Lord did not hold Thomas's doubt against him; rather, He recognized the doubt, and did what was necessary to alleviate it.  How reassuring it is He loves us despite our sinfulness far more than David loved Absalom.

I pray that God grant me and my family the recognition He granted Mary and Thomas, that we may see Him more clearly, love Him more dearly, and follow Him more nearly.  Yes, day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment