Monday, June 24, 2013

BlogPost_Monday, June 24, 2013 [Lord, What Are You Doing?]

Monday, June 24, 2013 [Lord, What Are You Doing?]
2 Kings 6

They were completely surrounded. Elisha's servant woke up to find that the king of Aram had sent his troops to surround the city of Dothan, where Elisha lived, and capture the prophet.  Why?  Because Every time the king of Aram prepared a plan to attack Israel, Yahweh gave Elisha their plans and Elisha would tell the king of Israel.  Israel was able to avoid every attack because God gave them wisdom through Elisha.  But, now Elisha and his servant are surrounded by troops from Aram.  Terrified, Elisha's servant asks his master, "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?"

"Don't be afraid!" Elisha told him. "For there are more on our side than on theirs!" Then Elisha prayed, "O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!" The Lord opened the young man's eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire. (2 Kings 6:16-17)

When afraid, the servant ran to his master and his master prayed that the servant's spiritual eyes would be opened that he might see what God was already doing.  Notice, the Scriptures don't say that Elisha called on the Lord to send this heavenly army to his aid.  God had a plan already in place.  All that the servant needed was to be able to see!

I am routinely attacked by a fear of public speaking nearly every time that I have to say anything in front of a group of people, large or small.  It's the craziest thing in the world.  I have sung songs in front of thousands of people at one time without fear, but there's something about speaking.  My calling to preach makes me think that God definitely has a sense of humor.  Yet, more than a sense of humor, I think God has a desire to open my spiritual eyes.  The only thing that gives me any calm or composure when I speak in front of people is asking the question, "God, what are you doing in this moment right now?"  It's in those moments after I ask that question that I've been allowed to see through the eyes of faith how God is ministering to His people.  My confidence comes when I realize that God was already working His plan before I opened my mouth.

Lord, what are You doing on my job today?
Lord, what are You doing in this supermarket?
Lord, what are You doing at this little league game?

God is always working before we get there.  It's natural to be overwhelmed by different situations and circumstances.  But, the answer to that natural feeling is our Supernatural God.  

Lord, what are You doing?  I know You have a plan.  What's my part?


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment