Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday, June 3, 2013 - Blog Post

June 3, 2013 -- Psalm 121

 

I've been meditating on this Psalm for a few weeks now.  It happens to be one of my favorites because of its strong affirmations of the power of God.  People, such as myself, who often think all too deeply about what is going to happen next and worry about it, need this type of constant assurance that the God who made both heaven and earth has agreed to help us.

 

So what are the real issues behind worry?  I believe that behind every worry is a speculation about the bad stuff that could possibly happen.  The lies that come with these speculations all sound like facts to us.  Here are a few examples:

 

LIE #1 – No one, not even God, will ever help me because I'm not worthy of help.

LIE #2 – If I don't get control over this situation it's going to turn out really bad for everyone, me included.

LIE #3 – If I could just get the right advice from someone maybe I can make this go away.

 

The only way to fight these and other lies is with the Truth.  Jesus went through this type of fight when He was tempted in the wilderness after fasting for 40 days and nights.  He went to war against the lies and temptations of the devil by using the Scriptures.  What He was doing was lifting His eyes (His focus) off of the situation and placing them squarely on God the Father.

 

The psalmist does the same thing in affirming that his help comes from the God…

Who made heaven and earth

Who will not allow you to stumble

Who never sleeps

Who watches over you faithfully

Who keeps your life

 

What's our part? 

Look up!  (Psalm 20:7)

Set our minds on things above. (Col. 3:1-2)

After we've prayed about the situation and affirmed God's power and promise to help, Paul says that "[we] will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard [our] hearts and minds as [we] live in Christ Jesus." (Php. 4:7, NLT)

 

--

O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer!  From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed.  Lead me to the towering rock of safety. (Psalm 61:1-2)

 

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. (Ps. 20:7)

 

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Col. 3:1-2)


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment