Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3: Genesis 6-9

January 3: Genesis 6-9

The LORD saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, “I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.” ~ Gen 6:5-7

I have read the story of Noah and the flood many times, but one thing I have never really thought about before was the fact that the sin of the world filled God's heart with pain. According to Gen 6:6, when we sin, it hurts God. I understand that God is a holy God and He cannot in any way, shape, or form be near or tolerate any kind of sin. But to think that my own sin that I commit on a daily basis, fills God's heart with pain. Wow. The Creator of the universe with infinite power and wisdom feels pain and grief and sorrow when His children turn their backs on Him. I can't help but feel pain myself when I think about the ways I have hurt God with my own sin.

Thankfully for all of us, that's not how the story ends. God never stops working to reconcile our sinful nature with His perfection. We find out that despite the great wickedness in the world, God was merciful and allowed the human race to live on through Noah. God spared Noah and his family from His judgment.

Throughout this year, we will find out that the Bible, from beginning to end, is the story of redemption. As we read, we will encounter sinful, screwed-up people who are loved by a just, holy, merciful God. All of us will continue to hurt God by disobeying and disregarding Him. But the Good News is that He will never let us go and never stop working to bring us back to Him.

Would it help you resist temptation to think about how much sin pains the heart of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment