Friday, January 13, 2012

January 13: Genesis 29 and 30

Friday, January 13, 2011
Genesis 29 and 30

The Genesis 29 account opens with Jacob arriving in Paddan Aram,
the place of his mother's family. He meets Rachel (his cousin) who he
falls for immediately and her father Laban (his uncle). Jacob agrees
to work for Laban for seven years in exchange for Rachel's hand in
marriage. On the wedding night however, Laban deceives Jacob by giving
him his older daughter Leah. I find it interesting that Jacob, whose
name means, "he deceives," who deceived his father Issac and brother
Esau, was deceived himself. I know in my own life, I can count many
scenarios where I've felt wronged, but I can also tally multiple
situations where I've wronged others. Thankfully, we have a forgiving
God. I'm still learning how to forgive people the way God has forgiven
me.

After marrying Leah, Jacob marries Rachel too agreeing to work for
Laban for another seven years. Genesis 29:31 states, "When the Lord
saw that Leah was not loved, he opened her womb, but Rachel was
barren." In God's sovereignty, He blessed Leah with Jacob's first four
sons because Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah. Nonetheless, Leah
still wanted the love of her husband and the names she gave her first
three sons (full list of Jacob's sons' names with their meanings
below) demonstrated the yearning she had for his affections. It wasn't
until she birthed her fourth son Judah, that she finally gave praise
to the Lord. Essentially Judah, whose name means "praise," becomes the
one who Christ Jesus descends from. It's amazing how the one who
deserves our praise descends from one whose name is praise.

I like how the heart of God is exemplified in this situation
between Leah and Rachel. Jacob didn't give Leah the love that a woman
deserves in a marriage, but God poured out His love for her. God will
always fill in the missing pieces of your heart with His love. God's
love will always make up for and go beyond anything you endure on this
Earth.

The Genesis 29 account continues with the births of Jacob's 12
sons who represent the 12 tribes of Israel. In chronological order,
Leah has four sons, Bilhah (Rachel's maidservant) has two sons, Zilpah
(Leah's maidservant) has two sons, Leah has two more sons, and then
Rachel has two sons. While the rivalry between Leah and Rachel is
characterized by child-bearing and the yearning for their husband's
affections that results in bitterness, envy, and discord, I think it's
of prime importance to recognize the spiritual component too. Leah and
Rachel had a desire to honor God. They knew Jacob was the heir to the
promise God gave to Abraham; to multiply his descendants and bless the
peoples of the earth through him. Leah and Rachel had an innate
aspiration to be vessels in God's promises. Isn't it beautiful how God
used not only Leah and Rachel, but also their maidservants, Zilpah and
Bilhah, to fulfill His promises? Not one woman, but four women were
blessed as being the mother's of the twelve sons that became the
fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel.

In Genesis 30, Laban and Jacob deceive one another. In the end
however, Jacob is blessed with wealth, despite himself. This is
testimony to the fact that God blesses us even though we're sinners.
God didn't wait until we achieved goodness to show His love. He
demonstrated his incomprehensible unconditional love by dying for us
while we were still unworthy sinners. God blesses us not because of
who we are, but because of who He is.

I encourage you all to live in God's love today!!

God Bless,
Anthony


List of Jacobs 12 sons (and 1 daughter) who represent the 12 tribes of
Israel in chronological order:

Leah has first four sons:
-Reuben – see, a son – Leah said, "It is because the Lord has seen my
misery. Surely my husband will love me now."
-Simeon – one who hears – Leah said, "Because the Lord heard that I am
not loved, he gave me this one too."
-Levi – attached – Leah said, "Now at last my husband will become
attached to me, because I have borne him three sons."
-Judah – praise – Leah said, "This time I will praise the Lord."

Bilhah (Rachel's maidservant) has next two sons:
-Dan – he has vindicated – Rachel said, "God has vindicated me; he has
listened to my plea and given me a son."
-Naphtali – my struggle – Rachel said, "I have had a great struggle
with my sister, and I have won"

Zilpah (Leah's maidservant) has next two sons:
-Gad – good fortune – Leah said, "What good fortune!"
-Asher – happy – Leah said, "How happy I am! The women will call me happy"

Leah has next two sons and a daughter:
-Issachar – reward – Leah said, "God has rewarded me for giving my
maidservant to my husband."
-Zebulun – honor – Leah said, "God has presented me with a precious
gift. This time my husband will treat me with honor, because I have
borne him six sons."
-Dinah, the daughter she births.

Rachel has next two sons:
-Joseph – may he add – Rachel said, "God has taken away my disgrace.
May the Lord add to me another son."
-Benjamin (born in later reading) – son of my right hand

No comments:

Post a Comment