Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11: Genesis 24:52 - 26:22

Genesis 24:52 – 26:22
It's Wednesday…and this is a little late in the day, but that's ok J   For some reason I was wide awake at 330 this morning and decided to do my reading., went back to sleep, then worked all day.  I kept thinking about what I had read…going over the early relationship of Rebekah and Isaac, Abraham's death, and the birth of the next generation, Esau and Jacob.  These are some pretty thick chapters!!!  I could probably write pages over what I thought, the ties between everything, and how everything comes down to God's grand plan.  Instead, there a couple points that really stood out to me that I wanted to share. 
            Faith was a theme that jumped out to me.  Genesis gives us the testimonies of the Great Patriarchs…the fathers (and mothers) of the Hebrews.   Abraham and Isaac lived based on the promise/covenant that God would build a great nation, with offspring more numerous than the stars.  Sarah and Rebekah lived this as well. In faith, Rebekah left her family, her home, to join and marry Isaac, who was the chosen son of Abraham.  She was barren for 20 years, and it seems at one point they got a little nervous and Isaac "pleaded"(vv. 21) with God that she would have children, and she was blessed.   I can only imagine the faith and strength Rebekah must have had, even after knowing her sons would live divided (vv 23.) 
            I also wanted to share an "uh-huh" moment I had this morning.  I read chapter 26, the account of Isaac and the Philistine, King Abimelech, and I caught myself shaking my head at Isaac.  I wrote a note in my Bible, "like father, like son."  Here we read a few chapters ago, about Abraham lying to Pharaoh that Sarah was his sister, and a generation later, Isaac did the same about Rebekah!  I thought to myself, "Isaac, didn't you learn anything?  You knew the stories from before!!!  Where is your faith???"  Then the "uh-huh" moment hit me…."Nikkie!  Didn't you learn anything?  You're not that different from Isaac!"  I laughed at myself and was reminded how I see the mistakes and sins of others – from the Word, from my own parents, family, friends, and surroundings.  I see the doubt I have had in my life and confronted with my own sin.  I still haven't learned.  How many times in our lives do we repeat these shortcomings?  I do not always have the faith I should.  I know God's promises.  We are sinful beings, and sadly we will continue to make the mistakes of our fathers. 
My God – thank you for Your mercy, Your grace.  You are forever faithful, generation to generation. 
            To wrap up – if you want to dig a little deeper in the Word, I encourage you to read Malachi 1 and Romans 9.  I feel there is so much more to talk about…another day perhaps… J  Be blessed! I'm always up for a cup of coffee if you wanna chat more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment