Saturday, September 26, 2020

September 26: Of the Season of Anger


Isaiah 48:12-50:11
Ephesians 4:17-32
Psalm 69:1-18
Proverbs 24:5-6

"In your anger do not sin."  Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. - Ephesians 4:26-27

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

As those of us in the US approach the next thirty nine days or so, a season bookended by a controversial Supreme Court nomination on one end, and a fiercely contested election on the other, where the in-between space is filled with pandemic and protest, riot and looting, could there possibly be any more difficult instructions from Paul?  

"But Paul," one might reply, "anger is natural.  And, in this case, it IS righteous, isn't it?  After all, isn't it wrong to loot and riot, and to condone such behavior?  Or to malign a candidate for their religious beliefs?"

Turns out the first verse above acknowledges man can get angry.  The concern is when man lets the anger fester, and it turns from whatever productive purpose it might have had, to wrath, to "raca".  And while we are called to speak out against sin and evil, we are called to do so in uplifting and constructive ways.  

I confess this is one of my biggest failures.  I have a temper, and what my tongue does when riding my temper hurts more than it heals, exacerbates more than it remedies.  Worse, the loss of temper, while cathartic, does not lead to lasting relief - more often than not, I find myself dwelling - righteously, I delude myself - on the wrongs that have been done.  And whatever intent to correct I might have had deteriorates into condescension, belittlement.

Why do I respond this way?  A pastor explained it to me this morning: that type of anger evidences a desire for control and, consequently, a refusal to trust God and His providence.  It stems, again, from such a poor relationship with God that I don't trust Him, that I want things done my way instead of His.  And, in doing so, I hurt more than I heal, and exacerbate more than I remedy.  If truly my desire was for the person's benefit, in my righteous anger, I would entrust that person, that situation to God, and be at peace.  Clearly, I still have much to learn.

Father, when we fall short of Your instructions through Paul, be merciful with us.  Rather than condemn us as we deserve, remember Your Son's sacrifice, and reveal Yourself to us so that we might get to know You better, and trust You with our all.

No comments:

Post a Comment