Saturday, October 19, 2019

October 19: Of Rejoicing Amidst Trial


Jeremiah 33:1-34:22

1 Timothy 4:1-16

Psalm 89:1-13

Proverbs 25:23-24


Think of what the people of Judah were facing - Babylon, enslavement, the loss of life and livelihood - and it is easy to understand how difficult it would have been for them to listen to Jeremiah speak of "voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the Lord, saying 'Give thanks to the Lord Almighty, for the Lord is good; His love endures forever.'"  Perhaps you have greater faith than I, but I confess it would have been too difficult for me to look beyond the impending disaster and see God in control, to trust in His promises.  


Heck, forget enslavement.  If you are like me, it is hard to recognize God when struggling with more mundane, more ordinary situations.  It's tough to see God when you are quarreling with your spouse, or your child is disrespectful, or your parents don't seem not to believe in you.  It's tough to see God when bills are due and the bank account is empty; when your parents are ill; when the your offspring is in a bad relationship and you can't seem to get them out of it.


I hope that when tough times come, I remember today's psalm and declare that His "love stands firm forever, that You have established Your faithfulness in heaven itself. "  I hope that I can "sing of the Lord's great love forever", that I can "make Your faithfulness known through all the generations."  Father, give me the strength I do not have, the strength to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment